Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nylon Strings on a Telecaster

CEB

This is different.  I wonder what is coming from the condenser and what if anything is coming from the pickups.  Do pickups capture the sound of nylon strings?  I thought pickups required ferrous strings.

• Wow! 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Using Bass strings isn't that much of a switch, although it seems like you'd waste a lot of string length, cutting them down to Guitar scale length?

As far as using Nylon strings on a Tele, it's remotely possible (but unlikely) that the magnetic PU's are getting some response from the wrapped strings. He could also have a Piezo PU mounted in the bridge, otherwise, that Mic would have to be incredibly sensitive? Magnetic PU's/magnetic string materials, AFAIK.

• Like 1

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

The guy is an excellent player.  I doubt the mic is picking up the nylon strings so +1 on he probably has a piezo (or acoustic) pickup in the bridge.  The bass strings would be the same as any steel string and the stock pickups would probably try to work as well as they could.  The only reason for doing either of the mods I can think of would be: just for fun or no reason at all LoL! 😎

• Like 1
Take care, Larryz

A friend of mine has a semi-hollow Godin that looks more or less like a Tele and came with nylon strings and a more typical slotted headstock. 

The pickups only respond to ferrous metals, at somebody pointed out it's possible there is some in the alloy of the wire wrap on the EAD strings.

The high strings are plastic, they won't work with Tele pickups. 

Could be piezo, I didn't listen yet. Or B-Band (similar but different). I like nylon string guitars, they sound and play differently. Not sure I'd go to the trouble of converting a steel string though. 

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

8 minutes ago, desertbluesman said:

When I played acoustic, I used the same strings that I used on my electric guitars. D'Addario EXL110 XL Nickel Wound Electric Guitar Strings - .010-.046 Regular Light.

I'm tempted to try this on my Martin.

• Like 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

+1 on the concept of electric strings on acoustic guitars (no mod necessary). The guy is not alone.  I put electric pure nickel strings on my two acoustic guitars.  I run the same 10-50 GHS Rollerwounds on my electrics (solid, hollow and semi hollow body, archtops and acoustics).  I may switch to 11-50's and I really like the Rollerwounds and they come with a wound 3rd string.  They squeak way less and are not as dull as flatwounds.  Unlike phosphor bronze, they do not turn your fingers black, and you avoid running coated strings.  I have never mic'ed them like the guy in the video.  The electric strings have less volume and sound a little dull compared to acoustic strings.  When playing with other acoustic players, I bring a small amp to bring the volume up to their acoustic level.  Once plugged in, they sound sweet.  I have had very positive comments at open mic's.  At home I practice unplugged.  They have more than enough volume for practice.  I like keeping the same gauge and feel of my strings on all of my guitars.  I order multiple sets on Juststrings.com and save on shipping... 😎

• Like 1
Take care, Larryz

My last two acoustic guitars were Ovations a deep bowl Balladeer which had several pickups in it (installed by Philip Petillo) One radium powered  thingy under the top just inside the sound hole near the bridge, and a magnetic DeMarzio stack near the neck in the sound-hole. The one under the bridge was as accurate as any miked up acoustic and it had two outlets so I could plug it into two different sources, a Pa for the radium powered pup and an amp for the DeMarzio. The DeMarzio  of course sounded like a strat.

The other one a Celebrity Standard, Super Shallow bowl had a standard piezo pup in it, with a little graphic EQ, (the guitar is pictured on the right of the photo) it was stock as it came from the store.

IMG_1739.JPG