Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What are your "Secret Weapons"?

Could be anything, a way you use a particular microphone, some random object you've recorded that sounded awesome, etc. 

One of mine is half of a double neck Framus steel guitar, played with a heavy steel bar and an E-Bow. It's fun and has it's own sounds.

With the 2 extra low strings I can conjure up quite a range. Photo attached. 

IMG_20220221_093501.jpg

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I have some fun effects "secret weapons" but not sure how secret they are. 

Parallel processing is probably my favorite one, I like to keep an unaffected track and then I have more control over the mix. 

I may be a "preset surfer" sometimes but when you mix different presets from different plugins that isn't really a preset anymore, is it?

Add in blending with the original signal and ??? 

Plus, it's fun!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is a couple of things,

• I have an approach of building the scene & story so I don't mix from technical formulas as much as use what I know to help deliver what I feel. It is not a secret, merely how I was trained but that seems very different from what others seem to be doing (or at least talking about)
  • I try to avoid the fashionable formulas. While everyone is using exactly the same faux-Juno sounds over and over, I am making my sounds from scratch. Yes it does mean that people don't get the same RetroBlaze thing they were expecting but... At least people looking for something original get that.
  • I use Echoes a lot and often use the delays I have built myself so that my sense of space in a mix is definitely different. It also helps with mixing client vocals that are bit loose with tune without having to Auto/MeloTune which makes for a nicer result.

🙂

• Like 1