Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

WSS 2021 Sound Track

ElmerJFudd

This just popped up for me on Apple Music. I haven’t seen the film yet, but I’ve hacked at this book twice and know how tricky it can be.  Great job by the musical director, conductor, all the players, recording engineer and of course the cast.  It sounds amazing. Check out the Mambo from the Dance at the Gym. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

57 minutes ago, Docbop said:

Didn't like the remake at all especially the sound and music.  

I’m just picking through the sound track.  Movie was disappointing?  

it’s not Bernstein’s recording with Te Kanawa and Carreras - but no movie or theater group I’ve ever seen is. Director’s always choose actors, the right age, the right look, the right height, right for the role, etc. over dedication to art of the operatic voice.  I had tickets to see the revival on Broadway some years back. All the actors looked great. The strongest performer was their Anita. Their Maria was stunning, her singing… not so great. At least not on the night I saw. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

17 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Great job by the musical director, conductor,

You know you're talking about the NY Philharmonic with Gustavo Dudamel conducting right?

Haven't seen this yet but all my musician friends (some of whom are in the movie in the "Gym Band" scene) have expressed nothing but the highest praise for this production. The fact the movie didn't do well at the box office means absolutely nothing in the bigger scheme of things relating to the intersections of art and popular culture.

And just on a technical level... this isn't an easy score to play either! Thanks for that link Elmer. What a thrill it must gave been to be at that session. I'm still a little cautious about being in indoor spaces with lots of people, so I look forward to seeing this movie on HBO Max. I heard recently it will be on the lineup there, not sure when though.

• Like 2

While my kid pals were listening to kiddie records, i was wearing out an LP of "West Side Story." That was my first BIG exposure to music at its height. Between that and a lot of classical works, my standards were set pretty high early on. It also softened the ground for me to become a prog fan later.

I'd like to see this take on WSS, just out of nostalgia. I'll hope for the best, even though most remakes come across like a nasty Euro cheese that tastes as bad as it smells.

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"

23 hours ago, David Emm said:

While my kid pals were listening to kiddie records, i was wearing out an LP of "West Side Story." That was my first BIG exposure to music at its height. Between that and a lot of classical works, my standards were set pretty high early on. It also softened the ground for me to become a prog fan later.

I'd like to see this take on WSS, just out of nostalgia. I'll hope for the best, even though most remakes come across like a nasty Euro cheese that tastes as bad as it smells.

Now there's a rare combination of preferences: Bernstein, prog and Kraft Singles.

Srsly, "Euro" cheeses (by which I mean Italian, German, French, British, etc.) are truly the Bernstein of the fermented milk products world. Fun fact: Alex James of Blur is an award-winning cheesemaker.

Cheers, Mike.

Cheers, Mike.