Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Audio Editor for New DAW

My studio computer currently is running Win 7.  I decided to build a new studio computer running Win 10.

My old studio computer is running Sound Forge 10 as an audio editor.  But I am remembering that Sound Forge 10 is written as a 32-bit application, not as a 64 bit application.

I could upgrade my copy of Sound Forge to the newest version which is a 64 bit application.  Or I could save the cost of upgrading Sound Forge and use the freeware Audacity (also a 64 bit application) instead.

Does anyone have any experience using Audacity?  Would you recommend using it?

Thanks.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've fiddled with Audacity. It's pretty OK I guess. It will sound just like any other DAW.

You can also go to www.tracktion.com and download Waveform Free. Full featured DAW, zero cost. Pretty intuitive, I've been a Tracktion/Waveform user since version 3, it's now at 11. 

I'm sure there are other free or cheap 64bit DAWS out there as well. Try Audacity, if you like it then it's plenty good enough. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

4 hours ago, JamPro said:

My studio computer currently is running Win 7.  I decided to build a new studio computer running Win 10.

My old studio computer is running Sound Forge 10 as an audio editor.  But I am remembering that Sound Forge 10 is written as a 32-bit application, not as a 64 bit application.

I could upgrade my copy of Sound Forge to the newest version which is a 64 bit application.  Or I could save the cost of upgrading Sound Forge and use the freeware Audacity (also a 64 bit application) instead.

Does anyone have any experience using Audacity?  Would you recommend using it?

Thanks.

If you use one of the major DAWs, they really have more than adequate audio editing.  Some have sample accurate editing right in the arrangement window, and some provide an audio editing screen specifically for the task.  However, if you like the idea of a dedicated audio editor, yes - on the cheap (free) Audacity, believe it or not Adobe Audition is quite nice, and at the highest price point but of course one of the most feature-full is Steinberg’s WaveLab Pro (there is also a WaveLab Essentials for $80).  SoundForge continues to look quite capable as a 64bit app that is still in development.  

Audacity - it can do most everything you'll probably need?  It's just not pretty.  Little time spent on the GUI and interface.  All functions are in the drop down menus.  There are some useful keyboard shortcuts.  It definitely is not a DAW replacement, but a useful freely available audio editor.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560