Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Minimal gear, strange place, scratch track city

Water leaked from above my unit, contractors are coming on Monday to gut my kitchen, pull up the floor, rip out the ceiling, etc.

It won't be fun to be around them. Friends are letting me stay in a house they aren't using. It's pretty nice and in a nice neighborhood. 

Will take the Mac Mini, a 2 channel Steinberg interface, a couple of mics/stands, headphones and a 24" monitor. 

I have more projects than time but I'm gonna take a week off and hide out recording. Should have thoughts and maybe music to share on my return. 

Be good, and if you can't be good, be fast!

Thanks, 

Kuru

• Sad 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Thanks Dave, we had a pipe freeze and break on the third floor and then the contractor who was trying to fix the ceiling broke off a sprinkler head. 

I'm on the first floor and over one unit and water was coming down through the light fixture in the kitchen for a while. 

They've hired a local contractor who specializes in water damage, they know what they're doing. 

But yeah, yikes!!!! Would have been worse if I wasn't home to sop it up as it came down. 

Anyway, I'll get some recording done. Almost packed up and out of here. No internet over there, I will try to check in this week when I drop by to see the devastation. 😬

I've been spending some good hours recording. Photo attached of the rig I'm using. 

Mac Mini, Steinberg 2 channel interface, Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Driver DI, 25 key X-Key, compact keyboard and 24" monitor. 

Using an EV ND 767a, an AKG 224w and adding a Heil PR40 and Peavey 520i for drum sounds. I have 2 K&M mic stands with booms. 

And, a $20 guitar that sounds good recorded and a Peavey Fury bass. That's it for now, eventually I'll get to move home and can finish things up.

This has been a valuable experience, I'm learning lots of great stuff. 

IMG_20220212_104748.jpg

Last summer I bought a Mackie MR 5 studio monitor, just one. Habitat thrift store - $6.

Last night I hooked it up with my "off yonder studio" as a mono monitor. 

I find tracking is WAY more fun when jamming along with a speaker instead of having headphones on, I like this. 

It sounds good enough to judge mixes on too. 

I'm having fun and getting things done! 

• 4 weeks later...

After a few attempts, and some tweaking - I've found a bass tone that sits in the mix nicely without using plugins at all. 

Bass is a Peavey Fury, sort of Jazz Bass neck on a P Bass body type. I've installed EMG PA (Alnico magnet) as the pickup, it is full range and zero noticeable noise. 

Today I ran it through a vintage silver face 3 knob Boss Bass Limiter into a Tech 21 Q-Strip. 

Slight boost to the bass knob, set the low Mid for 320hz and subtracted to taste, the high Mid to 3k and boosted and just a small Treble boost. 

Cutting the low mid left space for vocals and such and boosting up higher means the bass will be heard on tiny, crappy speakers - which seem to be abundant.