Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Surreal night portraits in Joshua Tree National Park

KenElevenShadows

spacer.png

spacer.png

I photographed some night portraits for Bloomfield Machine, a band masterminded by Brian Kassan (Chewy Marble/The Wondermints). Cool January evening in Joshua Tree National Park, Mojave Desert. Great night of creativity. 

I wrote an article about photographing surreal night portraits as well for Photofocus.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

I like those very much, surreal and uber creepy!!!

Well done Ken, very well done indeed!

Thanks. The band really wanted them to be surreal, with a sort of darkness to it (mood, not the fact that it's night time). It was a lot of fun to do!

I stuck these up on my website as well. I've gotten two inquiries about photographing others since I've begun sharing them, so I figured I'd see what happened if I wrote an Photofocus article about it (forthcoming) and put it on my website

6 hours ago, KenElevenShadows said:

Thanks. The band really wanted them to be surreal, with a sort of darkness to it (mood, not the fact that it's night time). It was a lot of fun to do!

I stuck these up on my website as well. I've gotten two inquiries about photographing others since I've begun sharing them, so I figured I'd see what happened if I wrote an Photofocus article about it (forthcoming) and put it on my website

Good way to monetize your passion!!!

Cameras, lenses and such aren't cheap and shooting creepy band photos sounds like fun compared to shooting weddings. 

I hated shooting weddings, 3 or 4 in and I was done forever...

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

On 1/27/2022 at 8:19 AM, KuruPrionz said:

Good way to monetize your passion!!!

Cameras, lenses and such aren't cheap and shooting creepy band photos sounds like fun compared to shooting weddings. 

I hated shooting weddings, 3 or 4 in and I was done forever...

Oh yeah, definitely. I've photographed three weddings. If I can help it, there won't be a fourth.

And you're right, this was infinitely more fun than shooting weddings. They liked that it was dark and weird and surreal and had fun doing it. And I was in my natural photography element.