Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Reliving the 1980's with modern keyboards.

The 80's as a good decade for synths and it also happens to be the decade that I was a fulltime keyboardist. My last two purchases are the Korg Wavestate and the Roland Jupiter Xm. The Wavestate replaces my Wavestation SR with an easy to program interface that far surpasses what I could do with the original SR. The Jupiter Xm covers a lot of keyboards I always wanted but did not have, and with the Moog and Sequential filter does a good enough job covering three brands of keyboards. My next purchase may be the OpSix, a upgraded replacement for the FM7 I used for so long. After that, maybe the ModWave. I always wanted a wavetable symth. Yep, it's a great time to relive keyboard history. Now, if only someone would release a Rhodes Chroma in modern form I would be soooooo happy.

So what do you think is missing?

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Korg DSS1 was a special board. Awkward operation, but a wonderful sounding hybrid of a 12-bit sampler with analog processing, and a great feeling action, too.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I just scored a Modal Electronics Cobalt8X, 8 voice virtual analog, great fun.

Needed a ‘synth’ for gigging to compliment the Electro6 & MOXF8. Was looking at the System 8, but had a few limitations for me.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I'm starting to give my MODX more credit for being able to do synth sounds, now that I've gotten away from the awful presets and have started to roll my own presets.  It's not what I'd call naturally fat or raw (in a good way) sounding for sure, but I've come up with some passable patches for some 80s stuff. 

12 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

Korg DSS1 was a special board. Awkward operation, but a wonderful sounding hybrid of a 12-bit sampler with analog processing, and a great feeling action, too.

The drive was painfully slow.  I had to make sure our setlists were setup to allow for the least amount of disk swapping.  

17 minutes ago, ABECK said:

The drive was painfully slow.  I had to make sure our setlists were setup to allow for the least amount of disk swapping.  

Yes. One of numerous aspects of the "awkward operation." It was also the second board I bought whose operation I could never fully wrap my head around. (The first being the DX7.) And it was a tank to move. But I still loved playing the thing.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The newer technology has gotten better in covering the sounds of yesteryear with additional features (modulation routing, effects processing, etc.).

While I have saved presets, I still have a blast initializing a synth patch and building a sound from scratch. 😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Musicians can get a lot more synthesizer for a lot less money these days, In addition, today's hardware synths are a lot more reliable than synths of old.

• Like 2

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

They have been running two different Duran Duran concert shows on PBS tonight. Nick Rhodes is using a few Roland JD-XA and JD-XI Synths. The JD-XA has an analog section which consists of four dual-DCO voices and transistor ladder filters. These voices can be configured as four separate mono synths or a four-voice polysynth.  Then there is a four part digital section which can be combined with the analog section. It also has CV/Gate control which was used a lot before MIDI came along. Rhodes does a great job of replicating his signature sounds using this setup. If I was going to do 80s music using newer gear I would consider a JD-XA.

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

10 hours ago, Shamanzarek said:

They have been running two different Duran Duran concert shows on PBS tonight.

I saw the ACL one. What's the other one? I'll have to show the wife that one as well once I find it if it's in the PBS app. :rolleyes:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

There was A Diamond in the Mind: Live 2011. He used different keyboards here possibly an Andromeda and some others. The JD-XA came out in 2015.

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

In the non-modular world, I'm hard-pressed to think of any modern synth that doesn't have a bank you could almost entitle "80sStuff." That era established certain standards by accomplishing things older analogs could not manage, namely more stable approaches to analog and early wavetables. Now, its a simple matter of How Much 80s Do You Need? Its asking the very least of today's instruments.

While I do make use of some of that material, its mostly one of several layers. Its become more common that I'm stacking fringe piano mutants or different strings for the added nuance. I'm a human D-50, trying to be a Fazioli.

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.
    ~ "The Devil's Dictionary," Ambrose Bierce