Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

George Martin (5th Beatle) anecdote

We've all read many of the same stories about tape loops used on "Tomorrow Never Knows". And that George Martin played the keyboard solo on "In My Life" recorded at half speed so that he could pull it off. And the story about "Strawberry Fields Forever" with the marrying of two recordings a half-step apart. But I'd never read anything specific about him, at least in a sense, tutoring Paul on musical nuts and bolts.

"Yesterday"

This is the first time I recall reading about GM sitting down at the piano with Paul to sketch out string parts. I loved Paul's anecdote about wanting 7th's in the string parts, George M. telling him it wasn't "proper" string quartet writing....and Paul telling him "whack it out, I've got to have it".

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/5-decisions-confirm-george-martin-fifth-beatle/

• Like 1

At the 1st session of the Beatles in the studio with George Martin, he encourage the lads to speak out if there was something they didn't like.

George Harrison came right back with "Well for starters, I don't like your tie!"

Fortunately George saw the humor, and they all got on well after that.

My Sir George Martin anecdote underscores what a classy guy he was. When my publisher approached him through channels about writing a foreword for my second book, Home Recording for Musicians, he didn't immediately throw it in the trash. Instead, he asked for a sample of the writing. He liked what he saw, and wrote a beautiful foreword about recording. Remember, back then I was just a monthly columnist for Guitar Player and studio musician, so I'm sure to him I was just some rando writer. I thought it was an incredibly kind and gracious thing to do, and added credibility to the book it would have not received otherwise.

Fast forward to AES years later, when he gave the keynote address. At one point he was at an AES function where I was also in attendance. I screwed up all my courage to walk up to him and say "You probably don't remember, but you really helped my career decades ago when you wrote the foreword for one of my books. It was really kind of you, and I know it really helped the book, so I just wanted to say thank you in person." At which point he looked at me and said, "Ah, yes, Craig Anderton" and something else. along the lines of happy to help - but I can't remember because I was so blown away.

THAT is a class act.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2022 at 12:56 PM, Anderton said:

My Sir George Martin anecdote underscores what a classy guy he was. When my publisher approached him through channels about writing a foreword for my second book, Home Recording for Musicians, he didn't immediately throw it in the trash. Instead, he asked for a sample of the writing. He liked what he saw, and wrote a beautiful foreword about recording. Remember, back then I was just a monthly columnist for Guitar Player and studio musician, so I'm sure to him I was just some rando writer. I thought it was an incredibly kind and gracious thing to do, and added credibility to the book it would have not received otherwise.

Fast forward to AES years later, when he gave the keynote address. At one point he was at an AES function where I was also in attendance. I screwed up all my courage to walk up to him and say "You probably don't remember, but you really helped my career decades ago when you wrote the foreword for one of my books. It was really kind of you, and I know it really helped the book, so I just wanted to say thank you in person." At which point he looked at me and said, "Ah, yes, Craig Anderton" and something else. along the lines of happy to help - but I can't remember because I was so blown away.

THAT is a class act.

My impressions formed reading anecdotes and seeing occasional interview snippets is that George Martin was a sort of gentle giant - but in the area of kind nature and intellectual curiosity.  I sometimes wonder about the unknowable - what the Beatles might've done without his assistance.  Murray Wilson, the Beach Boy dad, reportedly wanted them to stay in their little world of songs about surfing, hot rods and girls.  They broke out and away from his short sighted vision.  The Beatles were not burdened by this sort of small minded thinking....in fact GM helped facilitate their more adventurous and creative impulses.  Thankfully.

BTW,  in case anyone hasn't heard, the Peter Jackson Get Back documentary seems to be coming out as a 3 DVD set in February.  And for around $30.  I generally avoid buying DVD's these days, but will probably buy this one.  I'd like to rip it to my computer and have it readily available.  A friend (Santa Fe Bob) shared his Disney+ account with me and I've watched the 3 part series once.  I believe it's an exposition on the creative process.   Something young musicians can learn from in the future.  One piece I read about the documentary stated  "creativity often is boring and repetitive, until it's transcendent".  I agree with that sentiment. 

And also BTW,  I'd given Paul credit for the (I believe) inventive bass line(s) on "The Long and Winding Road"....and have learned it was played by John, on a six string     

(bass?).   For me, besides their great variety of songwriting, great vocal harmonies and much more,  the arrangements they crafted was key to their magic.