Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This is just wrong.

A song by Anita Cochran has vocals by Conway Twitty that were gleaned from past performances, chopped up and reassembled. Read the article here!

The song is (I Wanna Hear) A Cheatin\' Song .

You'll find Conway's voice toward the end of the song.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I posted on here about this a month ago and said "hey, this is cool that they can do this" (thinking of the Hank/Jr. 'Tear In My Beer') or something like that. Got hammered in responses. I wasn't thinking, I guess. People said Conway couldn't control what they're doing, so it's bad.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

:evil: I hope that they are not planning to TRY to perfect this new method of technology... let the dead rest in peace and allow NEW talent to prosper. Damn the record companies not knowing when to stop abusing the hell out of rejuvenating old recordings to make new money off of them. :mad: The quality of the recording was not even that good on the link provided. Very SPLICED together and autotuned.... :freak:

Duke, I actually kind of like that song and from my understanding the old Hank stuff was from a song actually had done. It was supposedly added to, and sync'd to Jr's song. Don't know for sure but that's what I heard. Anyway, if that's what they did, it's, to me, better than chopping up a bunch of words and splicing them together.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by daklander:

Duke, I actually kind of like that song and from my understanding the old Hank stuff was from a song actually had done. It was supposedly added to, and sync'd to Jr's song. Don't know for sure but that's what I heard. Anyway, if that's what they did, it's, to me, better than chopping up a bunch of words and splicing them together.

Correct. Hank Sr. did it and then Jr. dubbed on top. I think it won an award... the video. Which was incredibly cool. Even Hank Jr. said so. I play that song, it's one of my favorite Hank Sr. songs.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

This is bothersome so many levels. Obviously it's a complete betrayal of Conway and is a total misrepresentation of his singing and himself.

It also bothers me that Anita Cochran, an artist who has had mild commercial success while mantaining some amount of artistic integrity, would do this. It exhibits either a complete lack of judgement, or a direct attempt to gain popularity by creating some controversy.

Lastly, what does it say about contemporary record production and artistry that you can literally clip, past, and auto-tune vocals to create a performance that was never sung, while the record buying public either doesn't notice or doesn't care?

I'm relatively open minded when it comes to most things musical, but this is going too far.

*Howard Zinn for President*

**Pilsner Urquell for President of Beers!**

It's simply a case where they are attempting to allow automation to replace the ARTS; God only know it's replacing all the other type industry jobs. Coming up next.....Yeah for the singing robots. :rolleyes:

This is one stinky development in the industry. Didn't Natalie Cole do something like this as a duet with her father?

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Well, many records have been made by artificial means.

It was not uncommon even before digital technology for vocals to be constructed from infinite multi takes (even down to single syllables).

The issue of appropriating someone's performance without their acquiescence, too, is not new.

Rappers do it; rock heroes David Byrne & Brian Eno did it; Plunderphonics; negativeland...

the freakin' Beatles did it (Yoko Ono may've signed off on "Real Love" but would John Lennon have wanted it?)

There does need to be some element of artist control, though, or we're all in for it.

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

Anyone remember Pat Metheny's screed against Kenny G after Kenny recorded a "duet" with Louis Armstrong?

Ha! Pat hates Kenny G so much! It's delicious.

Originally posted by george costanza :

Well, many records have been made by artificial means. It was not uncommon even before digital technology for vocals to be constructed from infinite multi takes (even down to single syllables).

The issue of appropriating someone's performance without their acquiescence, too, is not new.

Rappers do it; rock heroes David Byrne & Brian Eno did it; Plunderphonics; negativeland...

the freakin' Beatles did it (Yoko Ono may've signed off on "Real Love" but would John Lennon have wanted it?)

Those are both good points. I think what bothers me so much about this case is that it does both of those things, only worse, AND does them together.

It's not uncommon to construct vocals in that manner, but it is uncommon to rearrange and pitch shift the vocal performance so that the singer is singing new words and pitches.

There is some question as to whether John would have wanted 'Real Love' released. But there's really no question that Conway wouldn't have wanted this song released, considering he had never heard it or sung it.

I wonder how long it will be before Conway releases his new album of songs he recorded posthumously...

My opinion...

Conway's voice sounded robotic to me. Bad autotune. If I were the producer of that, I surely wouldn't have let it out the door that way. On the other hand, if someone legally wants to bastardize a recording and turn it into what they think is a piece of art... fine with me. I don't have to listen to it.

Although I might be biased because I had some friends who were involved with it, I thought Natalie/Nat Cole's "Unforgettable" recording/video was tastefully done.

GY

Archived