Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

As the stand turns... 2nd tier hack for KS7150?

I know we've had countless threads about our shared plight for a stand that lets you get a 2nd tier close to the bottom keyboard. Lots of hacks for the K&M and others.

Has anyone got a hack/mod for the On-Stage platform KS7150?

Already had their goofy KSA 7500 2nd tier in storage from my old X-stand. Unlike other stand hacks, it can't be used upside down.....and of course it's comically too high. What "engineer" thought we needed enough space to fit a flat screen TV between keyboards?

BTW I've also got the 7350 Z stand which mostly worked great. For me it's too fussy, and an awkward pain to pack w other gear. Even after putting it an oversized laundry bag as a case to contain it. I'd rather use it in the studio.

Just got the 7150 platform for single use with Mojo or solo piano rig. Never used a platform before. Really love the simplicity (and legroom!) and would love to also use it for a dual rig: piano slab on bottom and Nord on top.

I'm still within my return window, if there's another platform (Gator?) that would work better.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

C

2584.thumb.jpg.a71e6bb45ec5896808ec6ab48078b143.jpg

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually had thought of that, possibly using 2 of them and letting the piano support it.

You just reminded me that I had this one in my Amazon list because it's height adjustable. Cheap enough that I may just buy one to see how it may work. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077V7LF7J/?coliid=I3BX0UPIG05BBK&colid=LVEIGGYG5ZJT&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

I recently posted this info in another thread but image embeds appear to be broken at the moment (at least in my browser) so I'm reposting here with them as links.

My general purpose live rig is a slab piano on bottom (Yamaha P-95 or Kawai ES-110, working purely as a MIDI controller) and a Nord Stage Compact 2 or 3 on top. Here's my On-Stage KS7150 2nd tier hack.

- 7/8" square dowels, painted black, which fit into the 2nd tier receivers of the stand. Sometimes I can't find 7/8" square dowel and have to use 1" square dowel and have a woodworking buddy cut them down to 7/8" square. Cut to whatever length works for you. I make them a bit longer than I need to because it's nice to have a little extra thing to route cords, etc.

- two pieces of threaded rod. Drill a hole at an appropriate location and run through each. I think I used 3/8" or 5/16" rod on my most recent set, just something to make sure

- washers and wing nuts to screw on above and below the dowel to hold the rod at the correct height. Sometimes I go with those split lock washers but I haven't found it to be super necessary, even when all this is riding in a bouncy trailer they usually stay put once you crank 'em down good. I go with wing nuts rather than standard mostly just to make the process of threading them into place slightly less tedious.

- a cap nut on the top end of the threaded rod, and stick a rubber crutch tip on top of that, along with an adhesive of your choosing

- a strip of black gaff tape running the length of the rod and wrapped around it, for cosmetics

half-tier things alone

inserted in KS7150 w/ Kawai ES110 on bottom

and Nord added on top

upper angle view

action shot #1

action shot #2

A metal shop could probably fabricate something similar, but this gets the job done nicely. The whole thing is very stable, despite how the Nord is cantilevered over the back legs of the stand. I am a fairly animated player but I never really feel like I have to hold back with the smears on the Nord.

I have never done this arrangement with the KS7150 set for standing height (if I'm playing two keyboards it usually means I need both my feet free), but I wouldn't hesitate to.

I always leave the threaded rod somewhat overlong when I make these, on the thought that I might someday have a taller bottom keyboard and would want to adjust, but I haven't needed to yet. I should probably take a hacksaw to the excess, but it's pretty invisible on stage so I haven't bothered.

The threaded-rod-and-wing-nuts-part of the idea was inspired by Tony Orant who has done a similar trick with the Quik-Lok WS-550 stand, which already has suitable vertical holes in the horizontals. That stand has some knockoffs on the market currently, On-Stage makes a WS8550 (haven't seen it in person yet) and I have seen a similar design under some other brand name in a recent thread on here.

Another thing I like about the KS7150 is that it folds quite flat. I can fit the stand, an On-Stage KT7800+ folding bench, K&M iPad clip that clamps to the leg of the stand, these little half-tier things, and a roll of gaff tape into a Pelican Air 1615. That's a little expensive for something to carry hardware around in, but I love having all that stuff in a single rolling case I can handle one-handed, and throw in a trailer with a bunch of other band gear while keeping it all looking fairly nice and not worrying about the adjusting knobs vibrating loose and getting lost in the trailer chaos. I've even checked it as baggage a time or two to try and avoid needing to rent anything, it's just under 50lbs in all. There's just one way it all fits, and you gotta be sure to fold the KS7150 so the legs properly nest in.

In Pelican Air 1615 - with bench

in Pelican Air 1615 - under the bench

I get the case with foam, and just use the top and bottom layers.

YAY!!!!!! Thank you Dan so much for this!!!!!! Could of sworn I saw your post a while back, but wasn't able to bookmark it at the time.

Googled, and with the Forum search not working at the moment couldn't find it.

Because of hip surgery, sitting only these days- still have my Apex if I ever go back to standing.

I also use same Nord stage compact, with a Yamaha p255 (soon to be p121) that I Midi to the Nord.

Pete:-thank you . Before I bought the On-stage. I thought that Griffin thing was going to the answer first time I saw it. For some bizarre reason the 2nd tier only tilts sideways. Plus not fond of the chrome plate legs. Weird that their spider stand has full up and down adjustments for the 2nd tier. Have also thought about the K&M, going to see if I can do the mods Dan listed.

Math: I ordered one of those laptop stand thingies. I noticed on the amazon reviews foks were using them as synth stands. Still may try it for piano, but was looking for something to putt Module over my Behringer Arp with- and may work for that.

Thanks all!

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

YAY!!!!!! Thank you Dan so much for this!!!!!! Could of sworn I saw your post a while back, but wasn't able to bookmark it at the time.

Googled, and with the Forum search not working at the moment couldn't find it.

Because of hip surgery, sitting only these days- still have my Apex if I ever go back to standing.

I also use same Nord stage compact, with a Yamaha p255 (soon to be p121) that I Midi to the Nord.

My pleasure! Don't hesitate to reach out with any questions about it. I also love how that K&M iPad clip (currently using the 19791) can clamp right on one leg of the stand. I usually stick it above the horizontal brace on whichever side is upstage, and it's mostly invisible from the audience. Wouldn't want to read a whole show off it in that position, but it's great for setlist with quick notes and patch numbers, which is mostly what it's for.

I basically hate all keyboard stands, but I'm as happy with this basic hardware package as I've ever been. Enough that I've made a few "copies" of it, one here in Seattle, and the same thing stashed in New Orleans and Atlanta for when I fly down and play with friends down there. (Which is depressingly infrequent these days, of course)

Let me know how you like that P121. It's super intriguing to me as a bottom tier option for a more compact/light setup. I'm just loathe to introduce any extra pieces into this simple rig, and the need for a USB to 5-pin MIDI converter has kept me away thus far.

Thanks Dan, and please reach out next time you're in the Peach State!!!

RE: 121. Hip surgeon yelled at me lifting anything more than 25 lbs for at least a year. Went back to gigging in July. Though I get help from band-mates once I'm at a gig, I've done some damage lifting stuff in the car. The 121 is freakishly tall- but weight is perfect.

In band context with a bass player, always been able to get away with 73/76 note boards.. (Solo gigs, not so much...)

It's a minor drag about the p121 not having a proper midi out. I had already bought one of those USB things to use with a Behringer XControl thing on my organ/Mainstage rig: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08MZY59B7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Works great, and figure I can use that since it's in my gig box.

I mostly use the Nord pianos with a bottom controller, but I'm also partial to the Yamaha pianos - so have no problem using them when it fits.

I'm with you on extra stuff. I've been talking nauseam on this forum that after being on the bleeding edge wtih Mainstage and Ipads for so long, I'm trying to keep my main sound sources back to hardware whenever possible.

Loved seeing your room-!!! Got a lot of the same things, but regretfully sold my Cp70 and Clav (which was trashed) before I moved down here. A music attorney friend promised he's going to sell me his when he finally retires. :)

I

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.