Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kraftwerk gear for 1975 live performaces?

What is that under the MiniMoog (good shot at 7'40")?

I thought it was a second MiniMoog, but the top key appears to be F rather than C. Doesn't have the metal side piece of a Farfisa Professional Piano.

https://mixdownmag.com.au/features/gear-rundown-kraftwerks-autobahn/

https://api.moogmusic.com/sites/default/files/styles/super_key_2x/public/images/2018-09/kw06_0.png

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL at the narration in the 2nd vid.... "last year they removed the last recognizable instrument, a violin, and added these electric drums"

I can only imagine what people must have thought of these guys in 1975, it must have seemed like music from mars. I was around but somehow these guys completely flew under my radar.

Vako Orchestron

Very few made, horrendously unreliable, and who knew? Sustained sounds without recorded attack transients (as on the tape strips of the Mellotron) sound like ass. (Roland took this lesson to heart years later, and the result was a fairly little known and unpopular keyboard called the D-50. You might not have heard of it.)

Contrary to popular misconception, the choir sound (and everything else that might have been a Mellotron) on Radio-Aktivität was all Orchestron. They'd started using it on the Autobahn tour, and it was a signature part of their sound until they went all-digital in the 1980s. Not many were made (like, less than 100), nearly all of a single-manual design that looked like a mutant console organ. Sound was read off of plastic spinning discs using a photosensor; Vako planned to release models with multiple manuals (up to four, if a protoype picture in their catalog was to be believed). Patrick Moraz toured with a custom 3-manual one, which was apparently stolen on a tour and never seen again.

The same technology was used on the Optigan, which in its later incarnation as the Chilton Talentmaker was actually a not entirely unusable instrument.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music