Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dexibell Vivo S9/ Your thoughts and experiences

LX88

I am highly curious about the Vivo S9 from Dexibell. They are pretty spendy but after seeing the video that piano man Chuck did I am very interested in what might be going on.

I would be interested in hearing from someone who has one or has played one enough to comment about it.

I am curious about the action also.....the Rhodes sounds and all the usual questions. Its almost impossible to find one to demo but I would like any feedback from personal experience.

I have played the Dexibell clone wheel a few years ago and I found it surprisingly good. The Italians usually get that one right... a good sign

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have played the Dexibell clone wheel a few years ago and I found it surprisingly good.

The S9 will have the same sounds. The differences seem to be mostly the action and having a lot more front panel controls (pitch/mod wheels, more knobs, more patch select buttons, dedicated zone buttons, etc.). And the rear panel adds balanced outs, another foot controller jack, and support for half-damper on the sustain pedal. One thing that's tricky about evaluating the sounds, though, is that the one you find in a showroom (if you're lucky enough) may not have, for example, its best Rhodes sounds, because they have optional ones you can load into it that are better (to me) than the stock ones (and you can load soundfonts as well). I don't care for Dexibell's stock Rhodes, but between the optional downloads and soundfonts, I'd have no problem getting a Rhodes I like out of it.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I would think long and hard about getting a S9. Because I don"t like it? No, I think it"s a great keyboard. But Dexibell has started a new generation of models. First it was the H10 and Mini Grand. Now the next generation technology they"re using, is in their new rack module, the SX8, which replaces the SX7. Sooner or later the rest of the lines will be replaced with models using their next generation technology.

How long has the S9 been out? Piano Man Chuck did a video demo earlier this year I think...which is what caught my interest by the way. Also I am interested in it because it has a good drawbar organ and I was hoping the Rhodes might follow suit

.I am frustrated with Yamaha and Roland etc. currently'. And yes now there are some fairly deep discounts floating around.

I am looking for something to cover Acoustic piano/Rhodes/ Wurli/ organ.

I would think long and hard about getting a S9. Because I don"t like it? No, I think it"s a great keyboard. But Dexibell has started a new generation of models. First it was the H10 and Mini Grand. Now the next generation technology they"re using, is in their new rack module, the SX8, which replaces the SX7. Sooner or later the rest of the lines will be replaced with models using their next generation technology.

I didn't see any new technology per se, but it is very nice that they have increased the amount of memory in these more recent models (which also means they can hold a greater number of their platinum samples simultaneously). Other than that, the SX8 adds the organ engine (which the S9 already has), and can do 3 effects per sound instead of 2.

I am looking for something to cover Acoustic piano/Rhodes/ Wurli/ organ.

In terms of models with hammer actions, I would think this would be one of the stronger ones, along with Nord. The Yamaha YC has a lot of potential, but I'd really want to see them update the rotary effect before committing to that one.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I didn't see any new technology per se, but it is very nice that they have increased the amount of memory in these more recent models (which also means they can hold a greater number of their platinum samples simultaneously). Other than that, the SX8 adds the organ engine (which the S9 already has), and can do 3 effects per sound instead of 2.

I seem to remember Dexibell saying their H10 and Mini Grand was using a more powerful processor that allowed them to address more sample memory while retaining their high amount of polyphony. I think they are touting that same processor in the SX8.

I seem to remember Dexibell saying their H10 and Mini Grand was using a more powerful processor that allowed them to address more sample memory while retaining their high amount of polyphony. I think they are touting that same processor in the SX8.

Ah. But in the end, regardless of what they had to do under the hood to get there, the benefit is still "more memory." And sure, I'd feel confident in saying that, at some point, there will be an update/replacement for the S9 that gives it more memory. But who knows when? If you're looking to buy something now, you have to choose the best option out of what's available now. It used to be, in December, people would say, well at least wait to see if they announce anything at NAMM, but these days, it's a total crapshoot!

I have an S9 that I got for a tour in 2019. I"ve been using it quite a lot, it"s a very good midi controller as well as having great internal pianos. The problem has always been balancing the samples - I want/need a good grand, a good upright, Rhodes, Wurly and CP80. The platinum samples are great but I always have to make compromises, so my best opinion is to wait for a model with more memory. Other than that they are great.

I have an S9 that I got for a tour in 2019. I"ve been using it quite a lot, it"s a very good midi controller as well as having great internal pianos. The problem has always been balancing the samples - I want/need a good grand, a good upright, Rhodes, Wurly and CP80. The platinum samples are great but I always have to make compromises, so my best opinion is to wait for a model with more memory. Other than that they are great.

On my P3, I found some soundfonts I was very happy with, which reduced my reliance on their large platinum samples. Also, as you said, it's a strong MIDI controller, so grabbing one or more of those sounds from, say, an iPad app is another viable way to extend the sound set.

A recurring topic on the forum has been the basic dichotomy between people who use computer-based sounds and are fine with even a soundless controller, vs. those who prefer the simplicity of an all-in-one where the board's controls are already optimized for how you interact with its sounds and architecture. The ease with which you can load soundfonts into the Dexibell, along with its good integration of external sounds over MIDI, kind of splits the difference a bit. Yes, there are numerous boards that are good at integrating internal and external sounds, but Dexibell is not only among the few that can painlessly import soundfonts, but also one of the few of the "operationally simple" boards that does good MIDI zoning of external boards. So many of the boards that are strong at integrating external sounds over MIDI also fall into the category of boards that are more complicated to operate in general.

It looks like Dexibell has just come out with a new module ... Dexibell SX8

Well this is interesting. Have been waiting for a decent module to come out for a long time.

They posted about this on Youtube about a month ago....not sure if anyone has it.

Personally I am tired of buying full keyboards. I have two potentially great controllers... Yamaha CP5 and Roland RD300GX... I like the feel of both of them

This may require a new thread in a few weeks after this one dies down. I would assume this could be fairly cutting edge.

Your thoughts ?

It looks like Dexibell has just come out with a new module ... Dexibell SX8

Discussion at https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3117147