Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Currently Listening To This

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The standout track for me is 'When The Grid Goes Down'. Because it will happen. You know it will....

Yes, everyone who knows anything about the way the sun works knows it will happen, as it has in the past. The difference is that previous incidents didn't involve an unprotected grid, or non-hardened microprocessors.

Any continent that was in the path of a flare on the same order as the Carrington Flare could suffer serious consequences. A couple billion dollars to harden the grid (which would have the bonus of being resistant to EMPs) is cheap insurance to protect an entire society.

The "short form" article from the USGS is pretty interesting. And then, if you can't fall asleep, the official government reports go into greater detail. There is a growing awareness that mitigation factors need to be put in place. Search on "Grid Reliability and Infrastructure Defense Act" and you'll find that progress, however slow, is at least on the horizon.

Bear in mind these kinds of events are rare, and one on the order of the Carrington event are even rarer. The odds of an X-class flare sending us back to the stone age is unlikely, but the problem is that it's definitely possible. Even wiping out power on, say, the East Coast for several weeks would be a very big deal (especially if there wasn't the energy needed to cool nuclear reactors). It's not exactly comforting when I hear comments like "don't worry, it's a 1 in 100 year thing," given that the Carrington event was in 1859.

Makes you wonder how the general public would react if the grid actually did go down. Mass panic and utter selfishness is my guess.

We had a petrol shortage scare here in the UK a few months ago and it was bedlam for a week or so. People tend to become savages and self-preservation instincts kick in. Scary

By the way, 'On Mars' is another favourite from the album. Love it!

Some songs I've written - https://www.soundclick.com/randomguy