Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Since it is popping up in the news Log4j

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately this has been dominating my work life since Friday. While true there's not anything a normal user can do, it's legitimately one of the worst vulnerabilities to come along in a long time due to the combination of being fairly easy to exploit, plus is a remote code vulnerability - meaning you can get a target server to run malicious code directly. It's got a vulnerability score of 10.0, the highest there is. The underlying Log4j component is present in lots of Java environments, even if it's not being used, so the impact is very wide. Web apps of all sorts are vulnerable, and so for a lot of companies it's a combination of fixing the ones coded in-house, plus waiting for the vendors for vulnerable off the shelf software to fix theirs.
"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."

I do feel sympathy for former colleagues who may have had to work extra hours due to log4j. I've never seen log4j used to execute code. I'm sure the smartest peeps on the past Java-focused projects I worked on were aware of that feature, but we used log4j to.... just write to log files... and Java code to do what code does... how about that? If I were still working at my last job, I probably would have had a very busy last couple of days too.

I now work with a team that develops software primarily with .NET C#. Coming from a Java background, I've had to deal with some learning curves, like how .NET handles logging compared to Java.

This crap makes me long for my old IBM Selectric. It woke the dead while in operation, but it never crashed. :facepalm:

Lab Mode splits between contemplative work and furious experiments.
Both of which require you to stay the hell away from everyone else.
This is a feature, not a bug.
Kraftwerk’s studio lab, Kling Klang,
 didn’t even have a working phone in it.
       ~ Warren Ellis

That caused a pretty big stir over the weekend at work, various dev teams had to upgrade apps and integrations.

I'm over on the database side of things, the world of development has left me in the dust over the past decade and a half (and to be fair, I was always just a web application scripter anyway). All the frameworks and dependencies and ORMs...not to mention the crazy front end which was what I was primarily fleeing from :) "But I wanted that special color of blue!" "er...we agreed on the exact color during the last meeting..." Kill me now if I ever have to work with front-end clients again.

Ehm, this subject kept also my professional life busy this week (software security, or better, the lack of it, it what pay my salary every month).

And finally i discovered that the real threat is the Minecraft server running at home on a Mac Mini, that i manage with my 15 years old son.

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

https://barbogio.bandcamp.com/follow_me