Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ray Charles on the 10 dollar bill petition...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to honor Ray Charles, but being immortalized on money, IMO, is an honor best left to those who truly led or supported our country in immense ways. Presidents. (Although I can't think of one modern president I'd like to see given that honor.) Perhaps, if we're talking entertainers, Bob Hope. His wartime and peacetime efforts in support of the troops that protected us since WWII is truly amazing. He could have stayed home. He could have performed a few times, here and there, and claimed his support for troops. Instead, he made it his mission to be there for troops decade after decade, knowing full well that he might be the last personal entertainment many of those guys would get before being cut down by the enemy.

That's an American who deserves his place alongside our founding fathers on currency.

I could make a strong case for one other person. Fred Rogers. Anyone that committed to improving everyone's life, especially our children, and treating everyone with respect no matter their age or experience, deserves that same honor.

I love Ray Charles. He was a special human being. But I can't put him in that category.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Kcbass:

On the 10 dollar bill, no. On a one time collectors coin, maybe. But I can think of scores of people who would deserve that honor first. Kcbass

yep! :thu:

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

On the 10 dollar bill, no. On a one time collectors coin, maybe. But I can think of scores of people who would deserve that honor first. Kcbass

I'm with the collector's stamp, but not currency. The only Pres I can see on any bill would be FDR. Maybe Nixon's likeness on the next useless dollar coin...

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Thanks, Super8. :)

Originally posted by whitefang:

I'm with the collector's stamp, but not currency. The only Pres I can see on any bill would be FDR. Maybe Nixon's likeness on the next useless dollar coin...

Whitefang

Really?? Only FDR? Are you saying Washington, Jefferson and Jackson (not to mention founding father but not pres., Benjamin Franklin) are undeserving? Or do you mean of those not already emblazoned on a greenback? (BTW - I'd like to see Teddy Roosevelt on one, as well. :thu: )

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I think it's going to make some people mad at me, but what the heck:

I'd like to see Reagan on the $10.

I'd like to see Brother Ray on a USPS stamp - he certainly deserves that.

Bob Hope? It would be extremely unusual for a civillian to appear on any bills, but I could almost make an exception in his case - certainly the man deserves some official recognition for all he did over all those years to support our troops. :thu:

Teddy Rosevelt deserves some recognition too... but he did get a spot on Mt Rushmore, so I guess I can't complain too much. But IMO, he's an under-rated president - the guy who first made the USA a world power.

FDR is already on the dime.

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

I would love to honor Ray Charles, but being immortalized on money, IMO, is an honor best left to those who truly led or supported our country in immense ways. Presidents.

So Benjamin Franklin and Alexander Hamilton don't deserve to be on our currency?

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by whitefang:

The only Pres I can see on any bill would be FDR....

Whitefang

He's on the dime already.

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Originally posted by Dan South:

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

I would love to honor Ray Charles, but being immortalized on money, IMO, is an honor best left to those who truly led or supported our country in immense ways. Presidents.

So Benjamin Franklin and Alexander Hamilton don't deserve to be on our currency?
Franklin and Hamilton were both "founding fathers", and as such, deserve their inclusion IMO. Hamilton, as the first Sec Treasury, especially deserves the connection with currency.

Sure, what the hell.

Although, I don't think it's necessarily an honor to have your image featured on money.

But, honestly, I think Ray Charles had a more profoundly postive influence on the world than any modern president.

Heheh, I guess you could say that about Fred Rogers, too. ;)

Archived