Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wewus Does Philly

Welcome to Philly. I am sure you'll fit in, just stay outta South Philly unless you arre going to Geno's (screw Pat's). Some pointers:

-Order a -C-H-E-E-S-E-S-T-E-A-K (NOT steak and cheese). If you want onions, order a 'cheesesteak with', if not, a 'cheesesteak without' . If you don't specify cheese, you'll get cheese whiz (KRAFT); if you need to, get it with provolone or american-anything else is illegal and they'll order a hit on you. Mushrooms or pizza sauce with mozzarella cheese are acceptable options as well.

-Hoagies are good things in moderation. The best ones are found in the Italian Market or at Reading Terminal.

-For serious shopping, go to King of Prussia. Every other mall in America is inferior.

-water ice (they aren't called icee's) and soft pretzels (you are on your own if you don't get them early in the day, though) are an institution. Eat them daily during the summer. Rita's has gone corporate but they still have the best water ice. They only are open from April to October. Buy a freezer and stock up for the winter. Everyone does it.

-learn to say and or spell these words: "ADDY-TUDE" (attitude); 'BOOTYfFUL" (beautiful); "SCHUYKILL" (sku-kill) the expressway and the river; "YOUSE" (as in "youse need to make a left at the next light"); "Yo!" (as in Yo!-hey you. YO!-what the fuck! and yo!-how ya doin'?)

-the Shore is a weekend ritual. All of South Jersey is a suburb of Philadelphia. Same goes for northern Delaware.

-The music scene is small and close knit. Some folks wish we were New York and try to act like it. Ignore them. Get in where you fit in and have lots of fun.

Join the local chapter of NARAS and forget about trying to catch up to Eric, he is impossible to get a hold of :D ...

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by blackfish:

try 8th street music..ask for Joe. ;)

I dislike 8th Street with a passion-high prices and poor customer service IMO. I use Booker out at Medley Music (he actually left 8th street and took ALL of his customers with him)....

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Booker is da man(!), and Medley is where you'll find the bulk of quality (and higher end) gear. I live at the GC in Plymouth Meeting, but I try to swing in to those guys in Bryn Mawr from time to time.

The best thing about this area is that, simply, it's ultra convenient for everything you want. People from out of town are always amazed that everything (NY, DC, Baltimore, tax-free shopping in DE, AC, etc.) is within a 2 hour drive, and oftentimes much less. That's what generally keeps me here. You are as in touch with the world as you want to be in Philly.

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

Thanks for the welcome, and info guys. I guess that area, The NE, is the most denseley populated in the country, which of course has it's pluses and minuses. I'll try to stay out of South Philly, unless Eric V is there to protect me. :D

I'll be up there next month, and hope to meet some of you in person. Where's my buddy Sylver, he's a Phillyite, haven't seen him on here lately.

Originally posted by TheWewus:

Thanks for the welcome, and info guys. I guess that area, The NE, is the most denseley populated in the country, which of course has it's pluses and minuses. I'll try to stay out of South Philly, unless Eric V is there to protect me. :D

I'll be up there next month, and hope to meet some of you in person. Where's my buddy Sylver, he's a Phillyite, haven't seen him on here lately.

We are situated in a good place here. NYC & DC are 2 hours or less (depending on how/what/who is driving) when you want to get away and the rest of the country is close now that we FINALLY have Southwest flying outta here...lol.

When you make it up here and get settled, let us know and perhaps us Philly folk can meet for drinks in Center City.

Originally posted by aliengroover:

Booker is da man(!), and Medley is where you'll find the bulk of quality (and higher end) gear. I live at the GC in Plymouth Meeting, but I try to swing in to those guys in Bryn Mawr from time to time.

The best thing about this area is that, simply, it's ultra convenient for everything you want. People from out of town are always amazed that everything (NY, DC, Baltimore, tax-free shopping in DE, AC, etc.) is within a 2 hour drive, and oftentimes much less. That's what generally keeps me here. You are as in touch with the world as you want to be in Philly.

Peace

Medley is a great shop. I only go to Medley when I am am ready to make major purchases, so Booker knows when he sees me that I am either scouting for an impending purchase I am about to make from him-I don't deal with anyone else. The last time he saw me, when I left my wallet was about $7G's lighter, so I visit there VERY infrequently.

I do go to GC in Plymouth Meeting as well (while my wife is at TARGET or Giant). It's a nice place to look at stuff and to their credit they have good sales every now and then. In fact, I copped my Motif 6 for $1,100 from them during Christmas on an in-store blow-out. Now if only I could coordinate my wallet with them the rest of the time...

I was born and raised in Philly. Moved from the suburbs there a year and a half ago.

All I really miss is the food. :D

Is Cintiolli's still on Oxford Ave off the circle?? What a trip that store was. All manner of stuff that "fell off the truck"!

I once bought 2 massive Peavey PA cabs there, and a Univox 6 channel powered mixer.

Bennie Cintiolli- "You payin cash?? (With heavy Italian accent)

Ricky- "Yep"

Bennie- "Ok... $700.

Ricky- "What if I take 'em with me now?"

Bennie "$425... Yer a good boy."

:D

Ricky

Click on some ads once in a while!! :) -------------->

Originally posted by ricknbokkerv2.0:

I was born and raised in Philly. Moved from the suburbs there a year and a half ago.

All I really miss is the food. :D

Is Cintiolli's still on Oxford Ave off the circle?? What a trip that store was. All manner of stuff that "fell off the truck"!

I once bought 2 massive Peavey PA cabs there, and a Univox 6 channel powered mixer.

Bennie Cintiolli- "You payin cash?? (With heavy Italian accent)

Ricky- "Yep"

Bennie- "Ok... $700.

Ricky- "What if I take 'em with me now?"

Bennie "$425... Yer a good boy."

:D

Ricky

Cintiolli's is still there and they still do business "the old fashioned way"...

:eek:

poste by Wewus:

I'll try to stay out of South Philly, unless Eric V is there to protect me.

Yo, nuthin' to it, but you don't need fear SP. There's some of the most amazing restaurants in SP. Shop at the Italian Market for groceries. Cheapo rents in nice "family" 'hoods. I'll be happy to show you round South Philly, you might really like it there.

Northern Liberties is cool too. Get a place near the El, and you're in.

There's too much great stuff about this town to fit into a post here. You'll see when you get here. Philly is the world's best-kept secret.

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

Originally posted by gatorwing:

It isn't the "SCHUYKILL" expressway, its the "SURE KILL" expressway!

Ain't that the truth....

Originally posted by Curve Dominant:

poste by Wewus:

Philly is the world's best-kept secret.
Ya' know? EV, wassup dude?

posted by MusicwWorkz:

quote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Curve Dominant:

quote:

poste by Wewus:

Philly is the world's best-kept secret.

Ya' know? EV, wassup dude?

Yo J!

Bizzy baby...BUT I am NOT impossible to get a hold of. 215-413-0463. Letz rap.

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

Yeah, I'm here, an' still lurkin' Steve. Just not much to say lately is all, besides too much typing was killing my wrists.

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOo excited that you are coming to Philly. OMG, that is so cool. As you know Steve, I was raised in Philly, but I'm now out in the burbs, but it's only an hour out. I get into Philly 3-4 times a month (More during football season.)

Oh, we will be getting together bro. Maybe we should crash a CMDN show or something too.

PM me when you know when you are getting into town and we'll make arrangements. Never mind, I'll just PM you my number.

DO consider looking around Roxborogh when looking for a place to hang your hat. Lots to do and a short drive to down town Philly(The natives call it "Center City").

I guess it's time to board up the windows.

I really don't know what to put here.

But they sell The Agile Guitars that everybody is raving about. Cheap guitars that are high quality. You can get a set neck guitar for $200.00, and they're supposed to be really good.

I'd be up for a road trip when you get into town! I've wanted to check out that place for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

So, what's happening with this? A close friend of mine just moved to Conshi a few days ago. He got a great loft apartment. It's a pretty cool area too.

What's the latest, Steve?

I'll be up there sometime in August. Nor sure when, got a lot of things to wrap up here.

I'm finding it's a real pain in the ass trying to find a place to live without being there. I think I'll just try to find a cheap sublet for a month or too and then look around for a permanent place.

Archived