Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Shania Twain concert -- an anti-disappointment!

I'm no big Shania Twain fan, but Pro Sound News asked if I could cover the live show that took place in Orlando last night. Sure, what the hey, it's only a 2.5 hour drive from here...

I hooked up with one of the FOH guys, Steve McCale, before the concert and he showed me their setup in detail. The level of techology was unbelieveably sophisticated, including a custom setup (there's nothing else in the world like it) that provided each musician with a footswitch that could cut off their mic and allow communications with the monitor engineer and other band members. It's all done digitally, daisy-chained on a single cable.

I don't want to say too much and give away what's in the story, but the music had a lot more dynamics and warmth than on the CDs. And while Shania Twain is no singer of the gods, she worked the crowd, kicked ass, seemed like she actually gave a damn, and was on anything other than autopilot. Good stuff, and I left the show with a real nice vibe...a pleasant surprise all around. Good for her.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw her Thanksgiving special on NBC last year, and yes, she does seem to put on a good show.

As long as Shania stays honest, she's all right. Heck, I didn't know she liked classic hard rock/metal. That's a plus in my book! :thu:

That's an interesting system you outlined there. Are you writing an article about it sometime?

My friend Cory Churko who playes in her band has told me a few things about the Pro Tools rig for controlling all the the muscian patch changes in sync with the show. He also was using a Line 6 Variax which is a great guitar for live for instant changes. The last show I saw was last summer in Hyde Park (her hubby Mutt was mixing FOH).

Originally posted by Touchwood Studios:

My friend Cory Churko who playes in her band has told me a few things about the Pro Tools rig for controlling all the the muscian patch changes in sync with the show. He also was using a Line 6 Variax which is a great guitar for live for instant changes. The last show I saw was last summer in Hyde Park (her hubby Mutt was mixing FOH).

Mutt Lange was actually seen somewhere? Will the wonders never cease?

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by Anderton:

[QBThe level of techology was unbelieveably sophisticated, including a custom setup (there's nothing else in the world like it) that provided each musician with a footswitch that could cut off their mic and allow communications with the monitor engineer and other band members.[/QB]

Nothing unique here, this is very common these days with bands that are all on IEM's.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Craig, thanks for the review! And after hearing Hall and Oates the other night, I especially appreciate this sentence:

And while Shania Twain is no singer of the gods, she worked the crowd, kicked ass, seemed like she actually gave a damn, and was on anything other than autopilot.

Earth Wind and Fire will be in town tomorrow night. I hope they are as good in cocert as I've seen on TV/DVD. I bought the 'cheap seats' under the stars. I expect it will be hot and humid - just hope the rain stays at bay. The last time I sat on the lawn at this venue it rained. Luckily, I had rented the chairs. Those who didn't were drenched (the lawn slopes and the water runs down the hill). I'm sure you can imagine!

Take care!

Tom

Is There Gas In The Car? :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I don`t care for Shania either and her husbands production work is IMO over the top. However he sells a gazillion CDs and I don`t.

Anyway... shes a fine looking woman and I wouldn`t mind seeing her live and up close.

Ernest

The level of techology was unbelieveably sophisticated, including a custom setup (there's nothing else in the world like it) that provided each musician with a footswitch that could cut off their mic and allow communications with the monitor engineer and other band members.
What I find impressive is that they actually trained all the musician's how to use it. ("Look, ya step FIRST, THEN ya talk!") ;)

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Originally posted by Anderton:

the music had a lot more dynamics and warmth than on the CDs.

I'm glad you said that. My wife wanted her UP CD a few years back and I was EXTREMELY disappointed in the simplistic production and thought her voice wasn't all that I'd heard it to be. I'm glad she still delivers a great live show. More power to her.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Interesting, Craig.

I like some of Shania's music, and I think she's a decent singer. But one thing you can say about Shania is that she treats every live performance as the ultimate gift. She seems to care more than the average performer that each show be as good as if it were going to be her last chance to connect with an audience.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Anyone get any pictures of Mutt? ;)

This is alot like my experience this year in Vegas at NAB time.

I did a favor for a studio owner from Montreal, and it turns out he did the sound design for Celine Dion's Vegas show and is entrusted to run the FOH every show. He invited me there if I ever was in town.

I'm not a big fan, and coudn't remember any of her songs except for the Titanic thing and the Chrysler commercial. I've seen Vegas shows before, and I was ready for a big production. My girlfriend was in town with me and, although she felt the same about Dion, we were both delighted when we found out we could see the show.

We were knocked out!

The stage was an incredible blend of physical set-pieces and projected environments. The dancers added amazing phyisicality and movement to the music. The band was live - drums, bass, guitar, two keyboard players (including the band-leader), three backup singers; they played with passion, but with such accuracy that I thought at first that it might be all tracked.

Celine blew me away. She has a great set of pipes, I tell you. The live venue sound is 5.1; her vocals were presented from the center channel, with effects from R and L. Each song acquired new meaning from the staging and presentation (even that damn Titanic song - no boats), and we were as thrilled as anyone in the theater.

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

http://www.supershadows.com/starwars/pictures/1/mutt1.jpg

Taken from here....

http://www.supershadow.com/archive/mutt.html

Originally posted by Ani:

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

http://www.supershadows.com/starwars/pictures/1/mutt1.jpg

Taken from here....

http://www.supershadow.com/archive/mutt.html

I'm extremely surprised... Mutt's always been extremely protective about his privacy, and there's very few pictures of him anywhere. I'm surprised he hasn't shut that site down - or bought it out.

Thanks for the link Ani!

Wow Phil,

I hadn't read the page until this morning and as I scrolled down the page I found this pic...

I had seen the other one before, I believe on a different site, but not this one.

http://www.supershadows.com/starwars/pictures/1/mutt2.jpg

I remember reading on another site, at one time, about how theirs is truly a Cinderella story. About how Shania was a vaguely known, struggling artist. When Mutt witnessed her performance, he volunteered to produce her.... So Be It.....

Originally posted by Doug Osborne:

Celine Dion's Vegas show

I used to go to Vegas quite a bit and I've seen many shows. I have always been BIGTIME impressed. Seems that if you play Vegas in a running act, you are GOOD. You are a true PRO. Hell, I even liked Wayne Newton way back when. Celine Dion, I'm not a fan, but she can flat out sing.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Archived