Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Casio Privia Models

wd8dky

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, someone shared these were coming a few weeks ago. I feel the goal to be the slimmest weighted action digital slab on the market is misguided. But, who knows, maybe their customer research says otherwise. 232mm deep means a very short key, which means it doesn"t feel like a piano to play it, and you get a dead area where you can"t trigger a note close to the fall board. I"ll pass. ymmv

Would love to see an update to the PX-5S. I am really enjoying my PX-560 and think the action on those models (a bit more expensive) are significantly better to play. If they could make that design a little quieter with less side to side play. That would be awesome.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Agreed, it reminds me of Apple and their desire to have their laptops cut people with their razor slimness. At a certain point, what is the gain? You have to wonder if it's just design experts making this stuff to adhere to some aesthetic. I'd personally welcome a keyboard that is one octave shorter and doesn't have any extra width at all since that is the more problematic dimension. As you say though, I'm sure they've done their research.

One point of clarification. The PX-1100 (shipping in the USA later in September) and the upcoming PX-S3100. In terms of their size and keyboard action, they are identical to the PX-S1000 and PX-S3000, not any smaller. In terms of research yes, plenty. PX-S3000 in particular is used by touring musicians like Tom Brislin (Kansas), Steve Weingart not to mention others like Larry Dunn, Michael Boddicker, countless University piano instructors and more. Not that I'm keeping track but the PX-S series has been highly recognized as well. NAMM Best in Show, MMR Dealers Choice, Music Inc Editor's Choice, EdTech Breakthrough Award not to mention other awards for the design. All that and they're selling great and the new ones are even better.

In my opinion, slim isn't misguided - you can get your arm around it to easily carry it. You can put it on a normal desk and still play in a comfortable position. In terms of key length vs our closest competitor it is less than 2mm difference while the instrument is nearly 50% smaller in volume.

The PX-S1100 also gets this "Stage Piano" preset that was previously exclusive to the PX-S3000. Here's Tom Brislin playing it:

[video:youtube]

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Agreed, it reminds me of Apple and their desire to have their laptops cut people with their razor slimness. At a certain point, what is the gain? You have to wonder if it's just design experts making this stuff to adhere to some aesthetic. I'd personally welcome a keyboard that is one octave shorter and doesn't have any extra width at all since that is the more problematic dimension. As you say though, I'm sure they've done their research.

This! I can't recall ever complaining about the depth of a board, but I often bemoan the width of some (88 keys with pitch/mod wheels on the side!)