Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why Do People Say They Hate Facebook?

I use facebook some, but between its poor user experience and amoral business practices, I would be thrilled if it disappeared. Something would take its place, and at least there's a chance that it would be better. Which is why I was glad to see this:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/mark-zuckerberg-issues-dire-economic-warning-to-facebook-and-other-meta-employees/ar-AAZ7HCB?li=BBnb7Kz

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I wish there was a way to stay connected with people without all the crap. I love the connections I have on social media. I even love when I see a friend needs a lift when I can help with a kind word or something. But I'm sure I've posted in this thread about the costs of doing so on platforms like Meta and Twitter, as have others.

A little OT, I'm also surprised there isn't a good universal contacts system, so when I change my address or phone number or even relationship, all my friends can immediately have it, yet it isn't public.

• Like 1

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I've lost a few who changed their e-mail addresses. Some of them found again later, some not.

Fortunately, I've had my own domain for decades (nortonmusic.com) so there is no need for me to change. Before that, I was on AOL. I kept the AOL account for a  year after I got my own domain, and when the e-mails finally waned to the point of zero, I abandoned it.

There should be an e-mail forwarding system, but I suppose the spammers would take advantage of that.

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

• 1 month later...

A lot of people are complaining about Facebook eliminating the ability to edit a post after it has been posted. 

Yes, I know Twitter is like that already. 

2 hours ago, KenElevenShadows said:

A lot of people are complaining about Facebook eliminating the ability to edit a post after it has been posted. 

When is Facebook going to be eliminating that ability? Have they made an announcement about it?

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

To the best of my knowledge, FB has not made an announcement about it. I've just had lots of friends complaining that they can no longer edit their posts.

FB is confusing too because at any given time, there might be something like twelve different versions of FB. They experiment and tinker constantly, sometimes regionally, sometimes with some other population that only they might know. So it's really hard to know what they're doing.

On 8/25/2022 at 3:18 PM, KenElevenShadows said:

So it's really hard to know what they're doing.

Based on what I've seen and experienced, they don't either! :laugh:

I created a group, over time added two admins, and let them take over the day-to-day. One day, none of us were admins. As far as we could tell, no one was. One of us ended up having to create a "business" to prove we owned the group to Facebook so we could get admin & ownership back. The group had become really large and was doing a lot of things, helping a lot of bands, connecting venues and bands, etc. largely due to the last admin we added who jumped on all that work. Facebook couldn't go in and tell that we had previously been admins/owners? They couldn't see that no one was one now? Seriously??? :rolleyes:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI