Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gator Frameworks Elite Keyboard Desk - opinions?

Anyone out there have one of these?

https://gatorframeworks.com/products/elite-series-keyboard-furniture-61-note-brn-gfw-elitekeytbl61-brn/

or the 88 key variant?

Pros:

- Less fugly than a keyboard stand, so it passes the interior design committee. ;)

- Monitor mounts and generous rear cutout for cableage

Quibbles:

- Fixed height (25") assumes your keys will be at a comfortable distance from the floor (mine would be)

- I'm not wild about the cable organizer "basket", but it's not integral to the design.

- There's zero room for a mouse on either side, but you could probably rig that

- Because this is KC, I have to point out there's no 76-key version :D

- I don't get the flip top design. I don't know how often I'd need to flip up the top. I'd use this with a computer monitor, which I'd put behind the keyboard, so the top would always be up.

For someone with zero woodworking skills but desire for a more furniture-like solution, this seems cool.

I make software noises.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Being for 61 key lost my interest, but I did contine to check it out in case they make a larger ones later. I didn't think much of it to me it was like a nice stand that a mother/wife wouldn't hate visitors seeing, basically a stand for student keyboardists. Being IMO for students been nice if that top flip up could double as a music stand, seems like they could of put a drop down flap on the flip up to make it hold music.

Don't think much of it.

Since we're moving to a smaller place, I've been thinking about a basic, studio desk. The unit in my spare bedroom workspace is an old, art/drafting table system by IKEA; it's rather bombastic - with about a 40" depth, plus I have an X-stand tucked beneath it to hold my MODX 8. With the slightly tighter space in the new house, that stand will eat up too much of it. The only concern I have about the Gator stand is the fixed height. I have the X-Stand set at 22", and that's a perfect playing height for seated work. Too bad, as the frameworks gear is more within our budget. Looks like one of the RAB 88 tables - with the slide-out, 88-key shelf - will be a better solution, but will hit the wallet harder.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Yeah I'm not so much a DIYer but appreciate the point of it. I own none of the tools to route, cut, sand, etc. and my free time is beyond limited. I need more capable friends, with skills and hardware :D

And yeah, of course this would be a studio piece, as that's the point.

I agree that $400-$500+ is a lot for essentially an Ikea-style build, but Gator <> Ikea.

I haven't found many other options that would work though.

I make software noises.

- Less fugly than a keyboard stand, so it passes the interior design committee. ;).

Sorry to be slightly off topic, but that phrase caught my eye. I have one of those 'committees' too, but of the two members, only one of us has voting rights. ð

I think it could be ok if you wanted to make your KB more like a piece of furniture like an acoustic piano is.

I can also relate to the interior design committee comment and although I understand the concept here I believe the execution of this particular piece would not pass QC at my place, hehe.