Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Intro to Hammond for casual players?

Does anyone have any short, easily digestible videos they like to introduce someone to the basics and little hacks of Hammond drawbars and leslie speed?

Starting to get the band together for my album release show next month. The sax player in the band, a longtime collaborator, is going to be covering auxiliary keys on the show so I can focus more on piano and vocals.

He"s a brilliant musician all around, and describes himself as 'competent' at keys â definitely capable of 'give me the progression and I"ll play a pad.' But he"s never played Hammond before, so I"m looking for an easy way to introduce him to 'pull these four out,' 'the white ones are even harmonics,' and 'speed up the Leslie to build into the chorus' without me just talking at him. Easy enough to YouTube search but I thought some of y"all might have educational resources you particularly like!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have any short, easily digestible videos they like to introduce someone to the basics and little hacks of Hammond drawbars and leslie speed?

Starting to get the band together for my album release show next month. The sax player in the band, a longtime collaborator, is going to be covering auxiliary keys on the show so I can focus more on piano and vocals.

He"s a brilliant musician all around, and describes himself as 'competent' at keys â definitely capable of 'give me the progression and I"ll play a pad.' But he"s never played Hammond before, so I"m looking for an easy way to introduce him to 'pull these four out,' 'the white ones are even harmonics,' and 'speed up the Leslie to build into the chorus' without me just talking at him. Easy enough to YouTube search but I thought some of y"all might have educational resources you particularly like!

Here is everything he needs and more (skip the bass line technique to your choosing):

[video:youtube]

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

It's not clear if he has played B3 organ parts before in a band that has another keys player, and presumably a guitarist as well.

I am mainly a sax player, so I understand the perspective of not knowing diddly about playing organ parts.

I would start with basics for each song of picking the organ patch (which includes the drawbars setup) and playing the needed chords at the right octave and inversion so they get heard and felt without getting in the way of the other chord-playing instruments and the vocalist. If there are two other chord-playing instruments in the band, he might not need to finger ever note of each chord in all places in a song.

He will need to figure out how to either raise his fingers off the keyboard (or use the control pedal if he has one) to get the organ sound out of the way when needed.

I would say that any changes to drawbar or rotor settings in the middle of a song would come after the above. I'm not there yet.