Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Ok i just watched this film and really enjoyed it. But what the hell was going on? Is there someting i missed because after he was running around with a microphone taped to his head and a dinosaur tail on i was completely lost :D I should probably read the book.
Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah, forget the book.

What you need to do is to get a job as a journalist, abuse the expense account by taking every drug on the planet, drink yourself stupid and then try and file a report on a bike race in Las Vegas.

Worked for me :thu:

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Yep - Gonzo fer sure. The kind of thing that happens when you're having a slow day...or getting paid to do something really boring - and your mind begins to wander as it naturally does (hehe) ! :D:thu:

Originally posted by Gord -B:

Ok i just watched this film and really enjoyed it. But what the hell was going on? Is there someting i missed because after he was running around with a microphone taped to his head and a dinosaur tail on i was completely lost :D I should probably read the book.

You should read the book. Remember this, Thompson is an author that is very adept at satire. Not all you read is truth, but a skewed view of truth. By the way, Fear and Loathing does not credit his skill as an author or as a journalist.

Some suggestions.

Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '76

Hells Angels

The Rum Diary

This is a broad section of his talents as a Opinion writer, a journalist and a fiction writer.

Just my two cents,

Doc

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. -George Orwell

Originally posted by lakeside studios:

Originally posted by Rog:

Worked for me :thu:

Worked for me, too, except I forgot to write it down....
Oh yeah ... me too :)
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Currently reading "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72" in honor of the upcoming election. Have read most of HST's other books.

I think the book "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" is much better (and funnier) than the movie. Maybe because the depravity goes on for so long. It certainly is satire albeit a very drug-fueled satire.

If I ever drop LSD, I will never do it at Circus Circus!

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

I think the book "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" is much better (and funnier) than the movie.

:thu:

Props to Depp, though. He lived with HST for a while to prep for the role. 'Said in an interview it was a crazy experience.

BTW, HST does a cameo in the movie, when Depp passes a dude and just kinda stares at him for a minute, like he's looking into his own future.

Currently reading "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72" in honor of the upcoming election.
I was thinking of doing the same. I just finished "Fear and Loathing in America" and am starting "Kingdom of Fear." America was a great bathroom book because it being a collection of letters. Most, however, were a little long for the typical dump so it took me over a year to get through it.

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

I think the book "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" is much better (and funnier) than the movie. [/QB]

Yeah but Depp....damn!!!!

IMO, He was fantastically adorned in the fantasy meets reality/meets alt universe world of Terry Gilliam. The scenes with Depp in the convertable alone make the movie for me!

TROLL . . . ish.

Archived