Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Back from a week up in Loch Lomond Ca

Went up last Thursday got home last night, did the trip in less than 14 hours each way. Sorry @LarryZ, I could not travel from the house up there because of the pandemic and my sister in laws health. We had to get Covid tests just so my wife could see her ailing sister. So I had to pass on visiting, or jamming. Maybe next time.

Made if from Loch Lomond near Clear Lake Ca to Near Phoenix Az in 13 hours and 45 minutes, best time ever. We started out at 1:30 AM yesterday morning and finished up 3:20 PM here in the lovely Sonoran Desert. Had my little Honda Fit up to 90 MPH at times on I-10 near Palm Springs, 80 mph plus some of the time on I-5 and the 99 freeway and always over 70 mph most of the time.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's some manic driving.

I used to leave near Clear Lake, beautiful area. Thats a long, crazy drive.

I drove from Fresno to Bellingham once in about 18 hours. It took longer partly due to torrential rain in Oregon where I could not see past the hood of my car and followed (as some distance) a semi that seemed to be doing well.

Later I was getting tired so I stopped every 3rd rest stop or so and caught a quick cat nap.

It's not as fun as it used to be, I like taking the plane now. Just get the travel thing over and done!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

My Jamming days are falling by the wayside DBM as I have can't remember sh*t (CRS) LoL! But maybe we'll get a chance to meet up one of these days. That little Honda Fit sounds like it can run at 80 and 90 all day long like the Roadrunner! Do be careful out there so Smokey doesn't get a radar gun on ya LoL! Glad you made it home safe... :thu:
Take care, Larryz

My Jamming days are falling by the wayside DBM as I have can't remember sh*t (CRS) LoL! But maybe we'll get a chance to meet up one of these days. That little Honda Fit sounds like it can run at 80 and 90 all day long like the Roadrunner! Do be careful out there so Smokey doesn't get a radar gun on ya LoL! Glad you made it home safe... :thu:

I also have had the CRS disease big time Larryz, but I still keep wishing I could get out and jam with friends. I am very careful on the roads about not being the one at the front of the line in the left hand lane. I wait behind the trucks until I see an opening in the long line of speeders in the left hand lane. When I become the left hand lane leader, I tuck back into the trucking lanes and wait for the opportunity to fit in behind the leaders. Besides the California drivers are the craziest drivers I have ever seen on the roads in the USA. (And I have been in 49 of the 50 states (no Alaska for me.)

@ Kuru, I used to do from Long Beach Island New Jersey to Cardiff By The Sea California in 2-1/2 days. Day one from NJ to almost Little Rock Arkansas, Day 2 after 3 or 4 hours sleep the night before I would do 4 hours of sleep at my favorite campground in Van Horn Texas, shower, and hit the road. Day 3 mid afternoon paddling out surfing at San Elijo State Beach in Cardiff By The Sea California. (disclaimer; I used to drive a Big Truck over the road with a sleeper and 53 foot trailer behind. 70 feet or so total in length). (and I used to cheat on my log book so sometimes I would drive that rig for 15 or 16 hours). My first instructor pardner (we drove team) taught me the secret on how to do that. He said that even if I could not sleep the night before, to stay in bed with my eyes closed, and keep them closed whether I slept or not, and that works surprisingly well. So I am experienced with the long haul. I went back to laying brick after a few months of trucking, but it did me well knowing how to do the long haul when needed.

+1 DBM, California drivers are just flat crazy and I'm embarrassed to admit I live here LoL! You have to watch them coming up behind and threading the needle more than you have to watch them up front these days. When I know I'm not going to get any sleep at night, I use that same keep your eyes closed trick. I learned that your body gets it's rest whether or not you go to sleep You just have to relax and not fight it. +1 Alaska is just too damned cold for this Amigo... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

+1 DBM, California drivers are just flat crazy and I'm embarrassed to admit I live here LoL! You have to watch them coming up behind and threading the needle more than you have to watch them up front these days. When I know I'm not going to get any sleep at night, I use that same keep your eyes closed trick. I learned that your body gets it's rest whether or not you go to sleep You just have to relax and not fight it. +1 Alaska is just too damned cold for this Amigo... :cool:

Great story DBM and Larryz, I gotta say that living in Whatcom County makes me miss California drivers. At least they want to get somewhere!!!!

Up here they try to merge on the freeway at 40mph and eventually speed up a little. It's dangerous! And, if 4 cars all stop at the stop sign at nearly the same time, none of them will go. It's like a politeness contest. Guess who loses? 50 years of California, if y'all gonna sit there I'm going, now! :)

Stop in the left lane of a 4 lane with a double yellow line so the oncoming vehicle whose driver is trying to make an illegal left turn across both of your lanes can't see any smaller cars that might be coming in the right lane and t-bone them on the passenger side? Never seen an accident but I've seen the maneuver, it's stupid and dangerous.

I don't understand driving here and that bothers me. Anything that goes faster than a cow in their sight path paralyzes them.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Clear Lake is awesome. Konocti is NOT an extinct volcano, but it isn't active like Mt. Lassen either. Some otherworldly scenery there, and unless they've re-done them since my last visit, it's the only place left where you can still find red asphalt roads. It used to be the norm many decades ago.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Clear Lake is awesome. Konocti is NOT an extinct volcano, but it isn't active like Mt. Lassen either. Some otherworldly scenery there, and unless they've re-done them since my last visit, it's the only place left where you can still find red asphalt roads. It used to be the norm many decades ago.

I have not seen the red roads in a bunch of years. I go up there every year to visit the in laws.

Yeah, I haven't been up there in eons. My recollection is that the red came from volcanic materials crunched up into the asphalt, as they tended to make the road material locally in those days; maybe not anymore.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Yeah, I haven't been up there in eons. My recollection is that the red came from volcanic materials crunched up into the asphalt, as they tended to make the road material locally in those days; maybe not anymore.

It has been a long while since I saw the red roads up there. But I do remember them being there.