Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Stage 3 vs. the rest

Wow. Just wow. Well I guess I gotta think outside my current midi routing paradigm. I was gonna use the NS3 piano where piano is needed and the organ where B3 is needed, and the two synth engines for VA type sounds. This kinda limits the NS3's usefulness as a multi-timbrel source. It does look like each engine can be "octave-shift"ed within a "Split" so maybe I'll play with the "Dual KB" or "Panel" modes for midi reception, and create splits to bring a synth patch in if the song needs.

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

9 minutes ago, vonnor said:

Wow. Just wow. Well I guess I gotta think outside my current midi routing paradigm. I was gonna use the NS3 piano where piano is needed and the organ where B3 is needed, and the two synth engines for VA type sounds. This kinda limits the NS3's usefulness as a multi-timbrel source. It does look like each engine can be "octave-shift"ed within a "Split" so maybe I'll play with the "Dual KB" or "Panel" modes for midi reception, and create splits to bring a synth patch in if the song needs.

Yeah, annoying. I know I had to shift some things around when I went from Stage 2 to Stage 3.  Not the first time a manufacturer has screwed up a perfectly good MIDI implementation. Yamaha crippled the MIDI going from Motif/MOXF -> Montage. In that case i had to jump ship to Kronos.  

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I see those bastards brought that feature back in the NS4. I ain't spending another $1500 for the 4. Sorry.

~ vonnor

Gear:

Do you guys know if I'm understanding the MIDI behavior correctly for the NS3?

I plan on running with LOCAL CONTROL off and route MIDI events to my Live Host on the Global chan then back to the NS3 on the PANEL-A, PANEL-B, or DUAL KB channels as needed.

How do the PANEL-AB and DUAL KB Receive modes differ?
For example: I set the DUAL KB Receive chan to 4, PANEL-A Receive chan to 5, and PANEL-B Receive chan to 6

In a program I'll turn on Piano on Panel-A and select just Organ (B) as the receiving sound generator for that program's DUAL KB setup... then in the same program on Panel-B I turn on Organ and Synth.

1. If my live host sends MIDI note events on chan 5, will I just hear piano? (from Panel-A)
2. If my live host sends MIDI note events on chan 4, will I only hear the Panel-B Organ (due to the DUAL KB settings for the program)?
3. If my live host sends MIDI note events on chan 6, will I only hear the Panel-B Synth? Even though Panel-B has both Organ and Synth turned on?

I'm hoping to find a way to get the most out of all 6 sound generators.

Thanks!

~ Bill C. (vonnor)

Gear: