Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Full Circle

Back in the late 80's I had the good fortune to have worked with a great band of musicians covering the current radio hits. These guys were all sticklers for accuracy in tone, phrasing, vocals and tempo. For me it was like heaven on stage.

As I imagine you folks are seeing, the local music scene is really starting to explode again with new venues opening up and old ones filling up the booking schedule. With that has come greater activity among the musician circles and more than a couple offers to work with local bands.

I have been programming and learning songs to cover a show for a KB player friend who will be out of town, and got a call from a drummer who knows the bass player I've been rehearsing with. This guy is forming an 80's cover group and 3/4 of the tunes are already in the can so I accepted.

Not knowing what to expect, I attended our 1st rehearsal and was completely blown away. It was heaven on stage all over again! These guys are all very good at playing their instruments and very professional, as well as quite dedicated to accuracy in the vocals. We spent about half the rehearsal fine-tuning the harmonies a cappella with anal focus on breath and phrasing. Not only that, but the four of us that can sing all have our own pitch range wheel-houses, which makes it easier to fall into the harmony lines and improves choral tone and blend. I had just about given up hope that this kind of musicians were extinct at the local part-time level, but very happy to see that's not the case.

I sound like I'm gushing, but I kind of am. I know we should not be afraid to break out of our comfort zone as far as musical styles, but if we get the opportunity to play the kind of music that we really love then why not go for it?

~ vonnor

p.s. Sound clips from my late 80's band are at the bottom of my bandmix page https://www.bandmix.com/bc_keys/

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heck, if I had to find another band the type of music would be way down the list, that's icing on the cake :)

I'd want (again) all the things you mentioned--people knowing how to play dynamically and most importantly with others...people learning their parts...people not being abrasive a-holes, that seems to be a tough one!

All in all I've been in a good situation for a while now and the down side is that my list of must-haves for any future band have grown to the point where I don't know if I'd find it :) Mostly all centering on being a band and not just a collection of rock stars, and apparently that's a ton to ask for. For all I love about my current band the music choices aren't always my favorites, but if I had my pick of songs probably others would be less than thrilled, so we compromise. Thankfully some fun 80s stuff is creeping into our set lists! :D

I didn't gig for 20-25 years and when I made my "comeback" I kind of let a lot slide. I sat in a literal garage with a loud drummer and guitarist with a cranked stack (to try to get over the drummer) for a year, we barely worked up two sets worth of stuff (member turnover, people not learning songs). Looking back, that's utterly ridiculous. Playing classic rock, there's no reason in the world you can't learn at least five songs a practice and have them ready to gig, depending on the complexity of course (we've done as many as eight in one practice with songs that we all knew well in our heads :) ) I don't want to think about the hearing damage that lame band caused--speaking of which, that's another requirement...be able and willing to play quietly, or I'm out!