Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Boss Katana 50 MK II

Hello All, my foot is healing nicely and now looks like a foot. Meanwhile, just before the surgery I took delivery of a new Boss Katana 50 MK. It took a while before I could get to doing anything with it.

I've played it a bit and so far I like it better than the Katana 100 Combo that I sold. There are more controls for all the effects and it's 7 pounds lighter and smaller. I have gotten some great tones with it so far.

I want to use the Boss Tone Studio software and program 4 great sounds. I have the footswitch.

Tonight I discovered I need to update firmware to run the programs for OS Catalina. Fine, I start in. Boss has everything, mostly. I got stuck and frustrated. Then I searched Sweetwater for Katana Firmware Update and the article made it super easy. https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/boss-katana-firmware-update/

While I still love the tones of my Peavey Vypyr VIP amps, the Katana sounds fantastic in it's own right and the design is more gig friendly in my mind. Once I dial this in, I can just play. All the toys are in there.

I'm curios how the sound quality is recording from the USB port. The 100 had a fantastic sounding line out. Anyway, FUN!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Come, Wattson! Trouble is a foot! Ehrr... yeah. Sorry.

Seriously, glad that your foot is getting better. No more foot jokes but you could start a podcast about it. Wait, NOW no more foot jokes.

Glad you're liking the new Katana and thanks for the reports!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Glad you're liking the 50... I play through mine a few hours a day, usually on a preferred setting. I try out the other stock sounds, all good, but I have a sound I'm very happy with and usually leave it there.

It's surprisingly versatile, pretty responsive, and, fwiw, at 25 watts I found a set-up that feeds back and breaks up a lot like a tube amp, and it's my happy tone zone- but, usually when the house is otherwise empty.

They don't know what they're missing. ;)

Speedy recovery on the foot, get better soon. :)

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Glad you like the new amp as well as the bigger version Kuru and to hear that your foot is getting better. 7lbs lighter in a smaller amp will make it easier to hop from gig to gig with LoL! +1 on Caevan's no more foot jokes... :Python: Amp weight is always a big factor for my amp purchases!
Take care, Larryz

Glad you're liking the 50... I play through mine a few hours a day, usually on a preferred setting. I try out the other stock sounds, all good, but I have a sound I'm very happy with and usually leave it there.

It's surprisingly versatile, pretty responsive, and, fwiw, at 25 watts I found a set-up that feeds back and breaks up a lot like a tube amp, and it's my happy tone zone- but, usually when the house is otherwise empty.

They don't know what they're missing. ;)

Speedy recovery on the foot, get better soon. :)

I programmed my Katana 100 Combo with tones that work well in the band I play with, we are going on 6 years now.

We had one outdoor gig where I needed more than 1/2 of one watt and the next increment on the 100 is 50 watts. That was LOUD, it got the job done.

I haven't tried 25 watts yet but it sounds to me like it would be a better choice. Since I NEVER used the 100 watts and 4 different tones is all a really NEED, I figured the 50 was a solid choice so I sold the 100and bought the 50. If all goes well, I'll program it a little later today with my gig tones.

Last night, I was surfing the 4 presets from the updated firmware and there was one I LOVED for just hanging out and jamming on my guitar. In the context of the band it had too many delay repeats and a very spacious hall reverb that would just sound messy. At home, FUN!!!!! Gig? No fun, go home.

I keep my Vypyrs around because they sound great and because I can get really fun solo sounds with them and not worry about using them at gigs. I find the Sanpera pedal board was not designed for a 15 EEE foot to navigate, once I turned the looper on and did not realize it (at a practice). Things got pretty weird for a bit there!!!!!

I've got my basic sounds written into the amp now. There will be a bit of volume and EQ tweaking in post, it's easy to change the preset in the amp without the computer.

One:

A: Cleanish - just a bit of breakup if you push it. A touch of spring reverb and the mids are down a little. A Fender-ish tone.

B. More overdrive, a bit more reverb and mids. This sings, good for a basic lead tone.

Two:

A. Cleanish but with a rotary speaker and spring reverb.

B. Distortion with a single delay and fairly short reverb time. I'll have the amp up on a stand where it is easy to get to the Tap button and adjust the delay to the song.

That's it, nothing fancy. Bread and butter tones I can use in multiple genres and compliment an acoustic guitar. I do a lot of my volume/gain control with pick attack, these are all touch sensitive. I don't like too much gain, you lose dynamics and start to sound really "Guitar Center" if the gain is too high.

"Guitar Center sound" is a cool description LoL! You walk in and every electric guitar player has the same sound going until a sales rep cuts them off or cuts them down in volume LoL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I"d like another original Kat100 112 combo to add to the pedal steel rig and goes stereo out of the Lexicon. I don"t need but dang that would be lush as heck and the redundancy is great backup. I used to use two Nashville 400s stereo out the Yamaha SPX90. No more those things are heavy.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I"d like another original Kat100 112 combo to add to the pedal steel rig and goes stereo out of the Lexicon. I don"t need but dang that would be lush as heck and the redundancy is great backup. I used to use two Nashville 400s stereo out the Yamaha SPX90. No more those things are heavy.

The MKII series does have some nice refinements. I hear ya on the stereo amps, now that I've gotten the smaller Katana I am considering combining it with another amp - only I want a different amp so I have more combinations. I do have a Roland Cube 40gx that would go well and leave me with only 4 total footswitches on the floor and simple hook up.

I'm also thinking maybe my Peavey Vypyr VIP 1, I put a 10" Scorpion speaker in it and it's a baby monster now. The Sanpera 1 pedal has 4 footswitches plus a switchable Wah/Volume pedal that would add some versatility. Plus a few truly weird sounds like the "synth" sound.

I hear you on the Nashville 400s, I gigged a Peavey LA 400 for years. Same amplifier, a combo with a Black Widow 12" speaker in it. Heavy as hell and probably the loudest amplifier for it's size ever made. It was capable of terrifyingly loud loudnesses!!!!!

Did some minor tweaking of my presets and lost my low feedback on the delay on one setting. Will have to plug it back in and get that back. I had one repeat and it was too loud. I think 2 or 3 repeats at lower volume is about right.

Got the tone controls and volume settings pretty well sussed out, it won't take long at the first gig to finish it up.

I have the Boss FS-6 footswitch, another thrift store find and exactly the correct pedal for my amp. I watched the lights on the channels on the amp and the A switch selects between Banks A and B, the B switch selects between channels 1 and 2. If you are in channel 1 in Bank A and switch to Bank B you will be on channel 1 in Bank B. I saved my presets with that in mind so I'm glad it turned out to be true.

Any way I set it up, there are going to be times when I need to switch 2 switches to go from the channels/Banks that I want. No biggie, there are only two switches total so it isn't confusing.