Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Benson amps?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave, +1 on Kuru's let us know what you think? Some of the other YT demos sound clean with a reverb and/or delay in front of the amp. Weight is about 25lbs on the cab and 16lbs on the amp head. So I like the piggy back concept if I have to pack 40lbs around. I would prefer to have an on-board reverb on any amp I look at. The YT demos take you inside the shop and it looks like the builder knows his stuff (all hand wired). I have never tried one and look forward to your in person review... :thu:
Take care, Larryz

OK, this is a NEW Benson amp.

I thought you meant one of these: https://reverb.com/item/3500158-very-rare-late-1960-s-early-1970-s-benson-300-h-guitar-amp-howard-roberts-al-casey-elvis

New to me, there are a buttload of small amp makers out there now. My 2 tube amps I haven't sold yet were both one-off hand wired clone-mods by guys who just mess about in their workshops and sell their creations. Both were originally something else, my "Fender 5d3 Deluxe" clone-mod was a Hammond organ amp and my "Vox AC15 Top Cut Channel" clone-mod was a hi-fi amp.

This new Benson looks like a ground up build, specifically designed to fit a cabinet. Looks like good kit but most tube amps are just way too loud for me to ever want to use them.

1 watt or less is good.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Yep, a newer one...but the one I have isn't on their site. It's a combo, but no reverb.

My first impression hearing in against the Princeton and (Alnico Blue) AC15 is that when I lean into either if the others there's a point at which they break up (in a very good way, I mean). With the Benson set at similar volume levels, that doesn't seem to happen...although the video says the Monarch"s behavior changes in that respect once you get the volume past 5, which is tough to do in my living room without killing everyone in the house. ð³ð¤£

Definitely has a ton of dynamic range - might even me too much for me, especialy given my amateur status. :hider:

REALLY sweet tone, though.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Dave, I found this YT demo on a Benson "combo" amp which gives a little better idea of the amps clean sound at @ 4:30 and talks about specs and the speaker selection option @ 2:00...Clean Tele single coils @ 7:00...:cool:

Take care, Larryz