Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kawai MP7SE - new model coming soon?

What do we think about the likelihood of Kawai releasing updated models for their MP range in the near future?

I am especially interested in the MP7SE.

2014 Kawai release the MP7

2017 Kawai release the MP7SE

2021 ...?

I like the keybed and the sounds of the MP7SE but feel the user interface could do with a bit of a refresh, in light of recent releases by Yamaha, Korg etc. I don't want to splash out on an MP7SE only for Kawai to release a new model shortly afterwards!

Hard to say.

They replaced the ES8 with the ES920 last year. There are two new Shigeru Kawai piano samples in the updated engine, the flagship SK-EX Concert and medium-sized SK-5 Studio grand pianos.

Right now, they are building more digital pianos than Kawai has in the last 25 years and there is probably at least a 2-3 month backlog to get an ES920 from a dealer. (There are some exceptions, I'm sure)

It's just hard to say how the MP series is selling into a stage and performance space against such products as Yamaha CP88, Nord Grand/Piano, Roland RD2000 type products and others that find their way into the Guitar Center and Sam Ash types of stores.

Kawai's primary business in digital pianos is still much more aimed to home market products with speakers and matching stands and benches. If the ES920 is an indicator coming from the ES8, I could imagine a new stage instrument with their new sample sets and a plastic enclosure to cut weight. But I have no idea if they have done any development or improvement on the types of interfaces and menu systems for what you are describing.

I mostly engage in conversation about Kawai in other forums that are aimed at piano players, like Piano Forum.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Jeff (?).

That's a good point about Kawai being more focused on the home market, while the stage market has quite a lot of recent competition. However, unless they plan to abandon the stage market altogether, I would hope that they would see all this competition as a reason to update their own stage offerings. And I believe their stage models (MP series) are still seen as "the player's choice" due to their globally-recognised keybeds/actions.

Nord felt it was worth putting one of their actions in the Nord Grand, after all.

Thanks for the tip about the other forum - I might ask over there as well.

Will

My opinion is that if action is your most important criteria in a stage piano, to me the Kawai RHIII action used in the ES920, MP7SE and Nord Grand is one of the top tier actions, along with the Yamaha NW-GH in the CP-88 and the Roland PHA-50 in the RD-2000/FP 60/90

The middle-tier actions to me include the Fatar TP-40 (Nord Piano/Stage, Kurzweil Forte, Dexibell I think) and the Korg RH3 (SV2, Grandstage, Nautilus), and Casio actions that are certainly good enough for me, but not as enjoyable.

And I have my own opinion about those that I would pass on entirely -- Fatar TP/100 and Medelli, Yamaha GHS are good for a mix of light weight and budget for gigging, but I just don't like to play piano on them.

Everyone's preference is individual, but I think Kawai has a very strong pairing of a top quality action, good acoustic piano samples and a nice portability weight in the ES920 at 38 pounds with built in speakers as a bonus. It's less than half the price of a Nord Grand as well. It definitely does not check the boxes as a stage instrument when you get into surface controls, layers, splits and MIDI control functionality, nor does it have a lot of "other" sounds beyond its pianos (outstanding! Some nice modeling capabilities you can dial in on top), a couple Rhodes/Wurli/DX EPs (perfectly usable, perhaps not as sweet as the Nord/Korg/Yamaha varieties) but not really a machine to make pads, strings or orchestral goodies underneath.

I ordered the ES920 because I think I can play piano on it all day and night for a gig and as a bottom board for a Nord Stage 3 Compact or Wave 2 in a 2-tier rig.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

• 2 years later...

Pardon thread resurrection here.  

Not necessarily interested in whether or not Kawai will release a new model of the MP7SE at NAMM 2024.

However, if @Kawai James or any other Kawai insider knows something...feel free to spill the tea.🤣

Otherwise, MP7SE owners...please let me know of your overall satisfaction with this DP. Thanks.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Well, @Kawai James DID confirm on Piano World forums that the MP series is not discontinuted and future models are planned. Not sure how to read into this; it could mean Kawai is working on a new MP model right now but also that the idea is on their planning desk for a later time.

Catch me on YouTube for 200 IQ piano covers, musical trivia quizzes, tutorials, reviews and other fun stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/p1anoyc

1 hour ago, Chummy said:

Well, @Kawai James DID confirm on Piano World forums that the MP series is not discontinuted and future models are planned. Not sure how to read into this; it could mean Kawai is working on a new MP model right now but also that the idea is on their planning desk for a later time.

Thanks.

I'm not active there but a while ago, I did read mostly favorable experiences with the MP7SE.

Unless Kawai tweaks the already wonderful key action on the MP7SE to address a few user complaints, I cannot imagine them making enough significant changes to the sounds that I should wait on a newer model.

However, since I don't need the MP7SE in order to bring in the New Year, I could wait until after NAMM before copping it.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Any chance of Kawai's wonderful action appearing in a 73 key version for us multi keyboard gigsters?

Yamaha CP73; 145 gig Leslie; Nord Electro 61; Oberheim OB3^2; Wurlitzer 200A; Ampeg Gemini I amp; Speakeasy Leslie preamp; QSC K-10

(dearly departed, now serving the Lord in Bryant AR: '58 B3, Bob Schleicher 50C Leslie)

On 12/23/2023 at 9:46 AM, BluesB3 said:

Any chance of Kawai's wonderful action appearing in a 73 key version for us multi keyboard gigsters?

I'm a big fan of 73-key instruments, however I don't know if the market demand would be sufficient to justify the additional retooling cost for a 73-key MP.

While not really a stage piano per se, it's perhaps worth noting that Yamaha hasn't (yet) announced a 73-key version of the P225 to replace the P-121.

Kind regards,

James

x

• Like 2

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

5 hours ago, Kawai James said:

I'm a big fan of 73-key instruments, however I don't know if the market demand would be sufficient to justify the additional retooling cost for a 73-key MP.

While not really a stage piano per se, it's perhaps worth noting that Yamaha hasn't (yet) announced a 73-key version of the P225 to replace the P-121.

Very true. Yamaha tried 73 with the last-gen, and didn't maintain it, which suggests it sold in insufficiently high numbers to justify.

Interestingly, at the more "pro"/"live" end of the market, 7x is more popular than 10 years ago. Roland's Fantom/FA/-0/DS/VR all have 7x variants (many launching later than the 61/88, perhaps as a realisation that the demand was there), similarly Yamaha Montage/MOXF/YC/CP (although not the ageing MX). Kurzweil has been flying the 7x flag for a while, as has Korg. And there's red, of course.

That leaves Kawai and Casio (and the boutiques). I'd love to see an update to the PX5, and perhaps a ES519 or similar, with 73 keys and proper 5-pin MIDI for on-stage use in a multi-keys rig.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 2

I too would truly be interested if Kawai had developed a 7x version of their MP series, but as Stoken6 mentioned, even a 7x version of the ES520 (with the included 5 pin MIDI) would make a suitable portable weighted base keyboard.  I have both an MP6 and an ES920, and I actually slightly prefer the MP6's panel interface for operation on stage.  I am not sure if the comment regarding the apparent discontinuation of the Yamaha P121 is valid or an "apples to oranges" comparison as I consider that model to be too prosumer to be applicable for most pro stage uses.  7x boards are indeed a hot commodity among the Pro users right now (particularly weighted), but not necessarily for home users.    The excellent Kawai RHII action would be a highly desired commodity, particularly if combined with a Kawai MP-series stage interface similar to my MP6.  Splits. layers & rapid volume level adjustments are all easily accomplished on this board!

• Like 1

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

Kawai seems to be content with selling KBs to a home-based consumer market. 

I remember when Kawai had decent synths back in the day.  I owned a K3 myself.  Totally abandoned that market too.  

Otherwise, IMO, Kawai has the best key action in DPs bar none.  I totally understand why Nord uses it in their Grand.😎

• Like 1

PD