Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Changed speaker, tubes, BIAS on SCX2

Well I just improved the tone on my brand new Fender Super Champ X2 by putting in a hemp cone Eminence Lil Buddy 10" Speaker, and changing the tubes to 6v6 JJ/s with the 12AX7 gold pin pre amp tube. The tone went from decent to very good in all of the frequencies.

And I also BIASED the power tubes without electrocuting myself (it is always nice to survive the process when messing inside of a tube amp.) This thing sounds almost as good as my Egnater Tweaker 15 watt head into 2 EVM12L's. Pretty close anyways after the tweaks. Now on road trips it is one hand on guitar and one hand on amp, 1 trip in 1 trip out. The amp itself is a hybrid tube power amp and modeling pre amp. I am pleased !!! Now to break in the speaker gently for that last little boost in good tone.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds very good so far and it looks like you're a Happy Camper DBM! I hope breaking in the speaker gets it sounding even better! How long will it take you to break the speaker in? :thu:
Take care, Larryz

Sounds very good so far and it looks like you're a Happy Camper DBM! I hope breaking in the speaker gets it sounding even better! How long will it take you to break the speaker in? :thu:

Thanks amigo, I was up in the Clear Lake Area in northern California and my niece was doing a gig and her partner forgot his amp, so I lent him old SCX2 which just had the Lil Buddy Install a week or so before, He played it fairly loud and the next time I used it, the speaker was broken in.

As he was thanking me for the loan of the amp, I was thanking him for breaking in the speaker for me (one hand washes the other as my dear old dad used to say). :rawk::cheers:

I am thinking a few weeks of mild volumes will do the trick on the break in time.

Just did my first set against my backing tracks, and man oh man I hit the nail on the head with this combination of amp and tubes and speaker. The live tone is awesome. Daver pats hisself on the back for this choice of amp, speaker, and tubes. Oh my my.

Good to hear you've got your new amp working to you tastes. Sound like a winner.

I have a couple questions for you, if you don't mind. First is there a 12" equivalent, and do you think it would work in my Supersonic? Second, do you think the Lil Buddy would be good for my Vox VT4O modeling amp?

Jennifer S.

Good to hear you've got your new amp working to you tastes. Sound like a winner.

I have a couple questions for you, if you don't mind. First is there a 12" equivalent, and do you think it would work in my Supersonic? Second, do you think the Lil Buddy would be good for my Vox VT4O modeling amp?

I had a 12" Eminence Cannabis Rex in my just sold Hot Rod Deluxe which is a hemp cone 12" speaker, it just made the tone less treble and a.little fatter and rounder sounding.

The Lil Buddy might work in your Vox VT40. I never tried it with a pure modeling amp. The only amp I ever put a Lil Buddy in was; the two Super Champ X2's, and it worked wonders for those (For my taste in tone which of course is subjective)