Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

K&M 18950 - second tier options?

Hi all,

Just contemplating potential changes or modifications here. I'm using a K&M 18950 stand with my PC4 as it's a great lightweight stand and folds up nicely for transport. If I wanted to add a second tier for a 61-key controller or something (i.e. my Krome), it looks like there's a 2nd tier attachment but it needs to be bolted on and isn't real convenient for adjusting nor transport. OTOH, I've noticed several "stacker" sets for the Omega stands, that seem to have a better setup in every way and look like they might work. Does anyone here know whether those can be used with the 18950 table stand?

Thanks!

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MMM, I just received and set up my 18950 stand last week. I'm using the 18952 stacker set and they slide into the front-to-back hollow crossbars of the 18950. Each stacker is held in place by a single thumbscrew which would make set-up and disassemble easy.

Since the hollow crossbars on the 18950 are welded in place, the only method for changing the distance between the two stackers is by expanding or contracting the width of the entire stand. As a result, using the hollow crossbars might not work for whatever you are planning to set on the second tier if adjusting the width of the stand is not an option for you. However K&M makes adapter 18954 -- buying two of those that might solve that issue because you could place those wherever you wanted. The hollow interior of the 18954 is the same as the hollow crossbars on the stand. Again, the 18954 comes with a thumbscrew that would be loosened for removal of the stacker. I bought the 18954 to hold a music stand assembly.

K&M's website has a lot of detailed info on their products. I found it very helpful in determining what pieces work with what attachments. I also sent them a question by email, and got a thorough response the next day.

I'd be putting a 61-key board up top most likely, so I wouldn't think the spacing would be terrible for that. I'm trying to use the 18950 pushed all the way together because it folds up nicely that way, but that isn't a must. I also have a few of those 18954 adapters, the music stand attachment, a mic boom, the "universal adaptors" (i.e. columns), and one of those adapters that goes out to the side of the stand as well (though I haven't ended up using that one).

How's the angle adjustment on the 18952? I got the impression that that's not a quick and easy adjustment, but rather something you set once and forget it.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

How's the angle adjustment on the 18952? I got the impression that that's not a quick and easy adjustment, but rather something you set once and forget it.

I just fiddled with that today. It isn't difficult using the supplied Allen wrench; just loosen the bolt without removing it and adjust. It's a bit more tricky if you need to adjust how far the stackers extend forward over the lower keyboard in a front-to-back direction -- to do that, that bolt needs to be removed, along with the two ratchet wheels and spring.

When I first set up the second tier, I didn't see the paragraph in the instructions that described how to ensure the ratchet wheels should be aligned on both stackers, and as a result the angle on one stacker was alway slightly different than the other. Re-orienting the ratchet wheels solved that issue. If you need to adjust the stackers in a front-to-back direction as mentioned above, it will pay to remember the orientation of those ratchet wheels when fitting everything back together.

Bottom line for me is that adjusting the angle of the stackers, as well as the height of the upper keyboard over the lower one is relatively quick. Adjusting the front-to-back orientation of the upper keyboard to the lower one might take 10-15 minutes or so.

I just fiddled with that today. It isn't difficult using the supplied Allen wrench; just loosen the bolt without removing it and adjust. It's a bit more tricky if you need to adjust how far the stackers extend forward over the lower keyboard in a front-to-back direction -- to do that, that bolt needs to be removed, along with the two ratchet wheels and spring.

When I first set up the second tier, I didn't see the paragraph in the instructions that described how to ensure the ratchet wheels should be aligned on both stackers, and as a result the angle on one stacker was alway slightly different than the other. Re-orienting the ratchet wheels solved that issue. If you need to adjust the stackers in a front-to-back direction as mentioned above, it will pay to remember the orientation of those ratchet wheels when fitting everything back together.

Bottom line for me is that adjusting the angle of the stackers, as well as the height of the upper keyboard over the lower one is relatively quick. Adjusting the front-to-back orientation of the upper keyboard to the lower one would take a 10-15 minutes or so.

Okay cool...I've got a gig where it isn't practical to bring my big Z-stand so I'll use the 18950 + 18952 for that instead. Just ordered one. Thank you for your help!

Might be too obvious, but you can always just bring another X stand for the 2nd keyboard and adjust it to the proper height. It won't tilt if that's what you need/want, but I've used them a lot to get the 2nd board in real tight to the 1st board.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff