Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha EMT10 rack?

Dear all,

I still own a few Yamaha EMT10s. Great little half rack with nice bright pianos that cut through live.

I actually quite like the acoustic bass sound as well.

However, you cannot do any zoning/setups etc.

Does anyone know if these EMT10 sounds feature in a Yamaha rack module of the time? TG55? Or something else?

Obviously, I could buy a Motif rack but suspect that will be a different soundset.

Finally, I could buy a decent controller keyboard and zone to the EMT10 that way.

However, I think I would prefer doing it through a rack as I already own loads of keyboards.

Quite like playing an old Roland EP7 with semi weighted action.

Sometimes the older gear just works for a particular purpose!

Cheers

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my students had a pair of EMT10s for his gigging setup, circa 1990. These used AWM technology - Yamaha's earliest PCM sampling tech.. The larger AWM piano module at that time was a TX-1P (1 rack space, vs. 1/2 for the EMT10 - which was more a tabletop module that I recall being rackable with an adapter). I still have a TX-1P, purchased in 1987. 34 years ago, its sound was state of the art for affordable digital piano tones. I preferred it over the Kurzweil K1000 (AX-Plus piano exp. module) or Roland MKS-20.

The TG-55 uses AWM2 technology, the next step for Yamaha; and with additional development it's still in use now. Much as I liked the TX-1P, AWM2 eventually led me to use of a P50m piano module - which was followed by a TG-500 module (similar, but with a large library of synth, orchestral and electro-mechanical imitations), then Motif/S-series gear.

There might've been other early AWM gear in addition to the EMT10 and TX-1P, but if so I'm not familiar with it. Though I do recall that Yamaha used AWM in some of their early drum/percussion machines.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Thanks for the memories of my first module!

Cheers, Mike.

Nice choice! I have three of them.

I still really like the piano sound for live work. It cuts through well. Polyphony is tight but you can hook up a couple of the modules to extend the polyphony.

Apparently Rick Wakeman used these for years. Perhaps he still owns one.

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3