Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NUAD Roland Micro Cube

KuruPrionz

Yesterday I saw one at the pawn shop for $50. It was dusty and the on/off switch was missing the button so you had to push a key or pen into the opening to switch it on. The switch is fine, I think I'll just leave the amp on and unplug it to turn it off.

I really like it, lots of great tones and simple controls. It won't get very loud but more than I would have thought and it will run on batteries too - the compartment is clean. Plus 7.5 pounds, dinky and light is nice sometimes. I'll try mic'ing it up next time we live stream.

I had one before, sold it and always regretted letting it go. What's your favorite small amp?

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite little amp is my Roland EX4 Street Cube (aka Roland EX50). It weighs about 16lbs. Has two 8" speakers with two tweeters on the mic/acoustic channel. Works on 8 AA batteries or plugs into AC. Runs 10 25 or 50 SS watts. Works great as a PA on a stand in one channel and with my guitar in the other. I can also bring my Fender Tone Master Deluxe when I'm a little more serious for the guitar and leave the other channel open for my Harmonica player/singer's mic (both channels have a mic/guitar 1/4 " jack). It also has a 3rd channel for keys, MP3, loopers, etc. Runs stereo or mono. Great for busking or BBQ deck parties, camping, or inside gigs. Easy in and out and takes up little space in the trunk or back seat. Sounds great with acoustic or electric guitars. This amp has been the most used amp in my arsenal. I've used it just about everyday for about a decade and it's always worked perfectly. Not cheap, runs about $500 bucks...but well worth it IMHO.

You might use a small AC strip with your amp Kuru since the on/off switch has been broken off. It makes it easy to turn the amp on and off without having to unplug it every time. You can also run other things with the amp if you wish... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

My favorite little amp is my Roland EX4 Street Cube (aka Roland EX50).
I have been wanting to try one out to see if I can like a solid state amp. They have come a long way since the last one I had which was a Gallien Kruegar 250ML Micro Lead. It was a pretty decent amp, even the lead channel sounded pretty OK. The clean channel was pretty good sounding as well. I just googled that GK ML250 and they are selling in the $600 range used.

DBM, One of these days you'll get the chance to try one. Bring your favorite mic and guitar and a couple of cords. And your Mp3 backing tracks and ask for a practice room. It will take 1/8" stereo or L and R 1/4" inputs with volume controls. They work great even in a small room like my bedroom. It may not be the best amp you will hear, but it will be a good one. I run mine only on the clean setting and can put any pedals I want in front to get the OD or other sounds I'm looking for. For the most part, I just go straight in. Let use know whether you like it or not if you ever get by a GC or music store that carries them. :thu:
Take care, Larryz

Good thinking Larryz on the AC outlet cord with a switch on it.

I'll do that.

Last night I fiddled about with everything amp, effect and the tone knob and got a ton of great tones at low volumes. The Blackface amp tones are sugar-sweet and the British Combo tones can be snarly without just sounding like a distortion pedal.

Your larger Roland sounds awesome, someday I'll try one out.

I've got a Cube 40GX that has defaulted to being my main gigger. Last weekend we played a backyard party with a 4 piece band. Our drummer brought his acoustic kit and was pretty loud. I had earplugs in.

I turned the Cube up a bit more than I usually do, master volume was only on about 10:30 and I had no problem being heard. Biggest sounding small amp I've ever owned. I'm a fan of the Roland/Boss stuff, it's reliable and sounds great.

+1,000 Kuru! I'm a big fan of Roland and Boss stuff. They take a licking and keep on ticking. Very dependable equipment IMHO. My last gig was at an outdoor wedding and I used my Roland EX50 for our little PA with two mics. My buddy and I brought our two Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amps for our guitars and our drummer brought a sized down drum kit (not as sized down as the Stray Cat rig LOL!). My harmonica buddy brought his little Blues Jr. Fender amp for his instrument and plugged his vocal mic into my Rolland. We were only doing a little 15 minute set and each of us brought our rigs in our trunks. The little Roland did a great job running on the 50watt setting... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

My favorite small amp is my Epiphone Electar 10 watt tube amp. with a Jensen Mod speaker replacing the original. I guess it sounds good, because everyone who hears it offers to buy it from me. Sorry, it's still not for sale. Talk to me in forty years.
I rock; therefore, I am.

My favorite small amp is my Epiphone Electar 10 watt tube amp. with a Jensen Mod speaker replacing the original. I guess it sounds good, because everyone who hears it offers to buy it from me. Sorry, it's still not for sale. Talk to me in forty years.

Speaker replacement can make a HUGE difference. I almost always change out the speaker - I've got a Peavey Vypyr VIP 1 and I understand why they get overlooked. The 8" speaker is a cheap piece of crap and sounds it.

I cut a new baffle board for mine and put a Peavey Scorpion 10" in there (a great guitar speaker) and the difference is night and day. Now it's a great amp.

I find with both of my Roland Cubes (Micro and 40GX), that I am perfectly happy with the speakers in them. I like the speaker in the Boss Katana 100 Combo too. That is rare, I almost always swap out the speakers. I even did it for all 9 Mesa amps I owned. I hated the tone of the Black Shadow speakers, just uninspiring.

+1,000 Kuru! I'm a big fan of Roland and Boss stuff. They take a licking and keep on ticking. Very dependable equipment IMHO. My last gig was at an outdoor wedding and I used my Roland EX50 for our little PA with two mics. My buddy and I brought our two Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amps for our guitars and our drummer brought a sized down drum kit (not as sized down as the Stray Cat rig LOL!). My harmonica buddy brought his little Blues Jr. Fender amp for his instrument and plugged his vocal mic into my Rolland. We were only doing a little 15 minute set and each of us brought our rigs in our trunks. The little Roland did a great job running on the 50watt setting... :cool:

Larryz, one time I bought a Boss Distortion/Overdrive pedal at Goodwill for $12. It looked like somebody had dragged it behind their car for a couple of weeks, all scratched and bashed. The knobs were all on it and turned fine. The footswitch seemed fine and the battery compartment was not corroded so I took a chance. Worked perfectly, I did clean the jacks but I always do that anyway.

Bulletproof, amazing company!

Kuru, I haven't had any trouble selling a Boss pedal when I get tired of using one (i.e., like my Chorus and my Distortion pedals). I have taken gear to swap meets and the Boss pedals are always the 1st to disappear LOL! The last pedal I bought is a Boss Compressor CP-1x and I use it mostly for a clean boost. I pretty much go straight in these days, but it's nice to only carry one pedal to a gig if I feel I need an on/off volume boost...great stuff and I've seen some very road worn Boss pedals like the one you got for $12 bucks. +1 They work like they did when they were bought years ago!
Take care, Larryz