Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do you find stuff on the internet?

Heehee, what a question. Ok, so I'd like to view a chart of average human lifespan over the past, say, two thousand years. Or past two hundred years, anything. I googled various keywords, clicked on many links. Never found a chart. Any tricks? Or just keep clicking and hope you luck up into a link? Actually, wondering if anyone has come up with any good search techniques. Where's Mats? I think he must own the internet encyclopedia.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The following information is derived from the Encyclopaedia Britannica, 1961:

Humans by Era

Average Lifespan

(in years)

Human, Neanderthal

Human, Neolithic

Human, Classical Greece

Human, Classical Rome

Human, Medieval England

33*

Human, end of 18th Century

Human, early 20th Century

Human, circa 1940

Human, current

77-79 (varies by region) :wave:

"Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you."

Friedrich Nietzsche

Live, there are ways to detail your search. For example, if you put your search words in quotation marks, you will get hits that include all those words as you typed them. There are others also, but I don't have them in the top of my head. Also, there are a number of other search engines that base their responses on different criteria than Google. Try "Ask Jeeves". That may be a good one for the type of information you seek.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Hope it helps:

In the Old Testament the following ages are listed for people living before the Biblical Flood:

Adam, 93O;

Seth, 912;

Enos, 9O5;

Kenan, 91O;

Mahaleel, 895;

Jared, 962;

Enoch, 365;

Methuselah, 969;

lamech, 777;

and Noah, 95O.

Excusing Enoch (who was said to have been taken up to heaven in his own body), these persons lived an average of 912 years.

After the Great Flood, however, the following ages were recorded:

Shem, 6OO;

Arphachshad, 438;

Salah, 433;

Eber, 464;

Plelg, 239;

Reu, 239;

Serug, 23O;

Nahor, 148;

Terah, 2O5;

Abraham, 175;

Isaac, 18O;

Job, 21O;

Jacob, 147;

Levi, 137;

Kohath, 133;

Amaram, 137;

Moses, 12O;

and Joshua, 11O.

These ages show a gradual decline to about 1OO year

Sucking the brain's vacuum

Waiting for the Nuclear Fusion. More energy, less damage.

*has never used Sherlock*

Some search engines tips would be like this. Say you wanted to search up acid content of an orange:

"orange fruit" AND "acid content"

or perhaps you wanted to find one or the other:

"orange fruit" OR "apple" AND "acid content"

etc... most search engines, I think, I have a usage page for further keyword stuff.

I only use Sherlock to search my own hard drives. Google is great for internet searching. Learn how to ask it the right questions. For something like this, I'd try something simple like human lifespan and maybe add history.

Originally posted by 1:

...Noah, 95O.

...Shem, 6OO...

This is one of the great human tragedies- a father should not outlive his son. That must have been a sad funeral.

Poor Shem had his whole life ahead of him.

Originally posted by Brakka:

I only use Sherlock to search my own hard drives. Google is great for internet searching. Learn how to ask it the right questions. For something like this, I'd try something simple like human lifespan and maybe add history.

Originally posted by 1:

...Noah, 95O.

...Shem, 6OO...

This is one of the great human tragedies- a father should not outlive his son. That must have been a sad funeral.

Poor Shem had his whole life ahead of him.

hehe, who knows, maybe he conceived the son when he was 600

Sucking the brain's vacuum

Waiting for the Nuclear Fusion. More energy, less damage.

Originally posted by phaeton:

I thought it only had pr0n, spam and people who were asshats.

(keke)

I'm not sure what an asshat is, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to be one (or wear one)! :D:D

Originally posted by LiveMusic:

Heehee, what a question. Ok, so I'd like to view a chart of average human lifespan over the past, say, two thousand years. Or past two hundred years, anything. I googled various keywords, clicked on many links. Never found a chart. Any tricks? Or just keep clicking and hope you luck up into a link? Actually, wondering if anyone has come up with any good search techniques. Where's Mats? I think he must own the internet encyclopedia.

One problem is that you've ignored a basic fact.

The Earth (& all celestial bodies) once spun much more rapidly that at present.

In the Tetrarch, for example, when they spoke of people that lived for many hudreds of years, they didn't live any longer in actuality than we do today, the years just passed much faster!

Similarly (or conversely, I suppose ;) ) at times when people seemed to live shorter lives than now, it was likely due to the effects of Ice Ages, slowing the Earth's rotation.

A comparison of the type you envision would be irrelevant.

At any rate [ ;) ], if you feel compelled to continue, try dogpile.com ; leave google for the masses & join the hip!

Originally posted by phaeton:

You mean the internet has stuff??

I thought it only had pr0n, spam and people who were asshats.

(keke)

I really have not been able to find any pron on the net. However, there are alot of asshats.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by 1:

Hope it helps:

In the Old Testament the following ages are listed for people living before the Biblical Flood:

Adam, 93O;

Seth, 912;

Enos, 9O5;

Kenan, 91O;

Mahaleel, 895;

Jared, 962;

Enoch, 365;

Methuselah, 969;

lamech, 777;

and Noah, 95O.

Excusing Enoch (who was said to have been taken up to heaven in his own body), these persons lived an average of 912 years.

After the Great Flood, however, the following ages were recorded:

Shem, 6OO;

Arphachshad, 438;

Salah, 433;

Eber, 464;

Plelg, 239;

Reu, 239;

Serug, 23O;

Nahor, 148;

Terah, 2O5;

Abraham, 175;

Isaac, 18O;

Job, 21O;

Jacob, 147;

Levi, 137;

Kohath, 133;

Amaram, 137;

Moses, 12O;

and Joshua, 11O.

These ages show a gradual decline to about 1OO year

WOW! :eek:

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

Originally posted by Brakka:

I've experienced that from a couple of different sides. I witnessed my grandfather's funeral when I was in my late 20's. I had to be the one to notify my mother that her father was gone. Hard to do. Then I had to watch my great-grandfather and great grandmother, at my grandfather's military funeral, saying goodbye to their son. One of the saddest things I've ever seen in my entire life was watching my 92 year old great grandfather hobbling up to my 67 year old grandfather's casket and saying "well goodbye Eddie".

And then a few short years later - okay about nine years later, I had to say goodbye to one of my own daughters. Yes, I feel qualified to say that NO, it's just NOT right; a parent shouldn't outlive their children. But unfortunately it happens sometimes.

I'm not looking for condolences and I'm not trying to bum out the thread - sorry about that. I just wanted to agree with what you said there Brakka.

"I really have not been able to find any pron on the net. However, there are alot of asshats."

Sooooooooo easy. Go to google.com, click IMAGES, then PREFERENCES - turn "Moderate safesearch" off, type away nasty phrases, bing bang boom y'got yer entertainment.

Originally posted by Super 8:

Originally posted by Michael Jackson's real nose:

At any rate [ ;) ], if you feel compelled to continue, try dogpile.com ; leave google for the masses & join the hip!

... :rolleyes:

Dogpile has been around for forever. Google has always been hipper than Dogpile. :cool:

Naw, cause I'm not there! :D

Super8, you're forgetting the principle of exclusivity; airbody & they mama be googling these days, therefore it can't be hip.

Archived