Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yes, in their own words

GRollins

In the inimitable way that YouTube does, it bores you to tears with a bunch of utterly inane suggestions, then, just when you've given up hope that their algorithm will ever work out who you are and what's important to you, it manages to redeem itself:

It's about two hours long and covers the history of the band from the very earliest beginnings up through the early '90s when this was filmed. Interviews with the guys. Concert footage. Stills. People being serious. People being absolutely goofy. The works.

For those who are key-centric, it varies widely. On one end of the scale, there's a LOT of Rick Wakeman. On the other, Patrick Moraz barely gets mentioned, so if you're a Moraz fan, don't expect much.

I'm still in it, and it's got other links that YouTube thinks I need to look at that (for once) look promising. I'll say this, though...it's one of those things that makes me want to turn around and pick up an instrument and play something...amazing,..you know? Not that I'll ever be worthy to dust Chris Squire's shoes (or Steve Howe's, for that matter), but there's that desire to do something and see if it works out. For those of us who can't seem to find musicians who think beyond 4/4, it's a vicarious visit with some wacky, demented, oddly talented guys who thought that music could be more than just the ordinary--and made it happen.

I'll give it four out of five stars.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had the time to watch this in a couple of sittings. I really liked the documentary for the insights and live performance aspects and it was great to hear "in their own words" their goals, backgrounds and relationships to the music and each other. Obvious gloss-overs were the parting of ways with Moraz, and I would have liked some conversation from Eddie Offord (especially the Close To The Edge segment where they recorded in bits and pieces â fascinating). Glad to see the Buggles bit a footnote and more of a vehicle to meet Rabin.

Thanks for posting this, Grey.

Here for the gear.

For that matter, you could make a pretty interesting documentary just on the support people who helped Yes on their way: Eddie Offord and Roger Dean would be the obvious starting points, but there were other names--managers and such--who kept cropping up in YesYears.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

• 1 month later...
That was an awesome watch - thanks for posting! I watched it a couple of weeks ago now, and then have pulled up lots of related content and vintage footage. Quite a remarkable band... one of my early favorites, and the first concert I saw when I was 16 or 17.