Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Suggestions for live/studio rack case?

I've decided to go with a custom-built rack from Casesmith Customs, thanks to Noah's recommendation. I called the gentlemen and within a day got a call back and my questions about weight and wood answered. Looking forward to getting the rack in the mail - man does that guy have some nice looking options. Going for a 4u rack in white bronco with black hardware, recessed handles, and lids. With lids he thinks it should weigh around 21 lbs. 15lbs without lids or so.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's great to hear! The SKB and other molded racks that get a lot of play here are probably lighter and have other advantages for touring musicians. But I also just dig having a piece of kit that has a vibe like the wood/Tolex ones that guy makes.

I'd upload a picture of the Casesmith Customs rack I use for my Speakeasy stereo tube preamp, but the site is telling me I can't upload anything larger than 1MB and the other picture upload option requires a URL? Not sure what I'm missing, but anyway, I'll upload some shots eventually.

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

You can either scale down the picture so the size is less than 1MB or use something like IMGBB as your image host and embed the link here.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

The Anvil ATA Cases I bought back in the 70's and 80's have held up great over all the years I moved them around when I was first a weekend player, then a full time player playing the hotel circuit up and down the East coast for 3 years. I bought Anvil ATA cases for my Keyboards and amp rack case because I wanted the best, despite the weight. The reason those cases are heavy is because they are heavy duty built and solid. I used a wheeled cart and hand truck to move them around, The only signs of wear are some scratches I put on them moving them around so much, I bought SKB cases for some of my rifles, but they are a lot lighter than my music equipment. If you have something valuable that you can't afford to replace, Anvil. Other brands are OK for light stuff. You get what you pay for.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.