Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

News: Summer Tours in Bad Shape

Aw MAN!!!!!

As most of ya'll know, I'm a teenager in high school, and my band plays good ol' rock and roll. So lately we've taken a liking to the band Jet. One of the few recent bands I REALLY enjoy. I love every song on their album and think they have alot going for them.

I read this thread and decided to check out when some bands would be arriving down here. I stop by Jet's site, and see that they're playing the Gypsy Tea Room on 9/19 here in Dallas. Alright! I have got to go and see this one, if its the only concert I see all summer, no matter what I have to make this.

I go to the Gypsy Tea Room's website, check out the calendar and sure enough they're on there. I click the link to buy tickets, whip out my dad's credit card ;) and decide I need to buy tickets. $17.50 a ticket. Not a bad deal in my opinion. I don't need any gear, have nothing better to spend it on, so decide I'm gonna do it.

Go to the next page... 17 only!!! Man this really gets to me. I turn 17 in November. This is the only concert I would want to see for the entire year, and I can't go because I was born 3 months too late. :( This is really depressing.

On the subject of local concerts, the Vans Warped Tour is coming to town tomorrow morning. 13 year olds will have the privilege of hearing songs that have to do with having sex with someone's mom and killing people. And I can't see Jet because they say the words "Cold Hard Bitch."

Can we say fake ID? :cry:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by d gauss:

not that i have access to file sharing or anything, but if you do, do a search for "nickelbacksucks.mp3".

left channel is their first single, right channel is their second. same key, same tempo. hilarious.

LOL I guess you missed out on this thread:

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=019942

Yeah, it is hilarious! But apparently (if that post I saw is any indication) a lot of the fans aren't as stupid as the record companies want them to be.

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

But apparently (if that post I saw is any indication) a lot of the fans aren't as stupid as the record companies want them to be.

I'm not attacking you, I'm not contradicting you, but you continue to crack me up. You have packed so much extrapolation into this one sentence, it's impressive. Keep up the good work! :)

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

I hope you're right Jeff. After all there's no way to blame illegal downloading for poor concert sales. :rolleyes:

Incidentally, on a related note, I stumbled on another forum the other day where a kid who was actually a fan of Nickelback and Linkin Park, was complaining that she and her friends think their songs all have the same sound.

:D

At least four top draws -- Spears, Christina Aguilera, Marc Anthony and Jessica Simpson
These, in my mind, are not legitimate live acts...they would be laughed/booed off the stage in years past

I don't know if I agree that the success (or lack thereof) of this years' summer tours is directly related to the quality of music that is being released nowadays.

Other possibilities:

1. Ticket prices and service charges (thank you, TicketMonopoly) are out of control - when I did the most concertgoing, tickets were anywhere from $12.50 to $25. Nowadays, admission will probably cost you near $50 - or more.

2. People are seeing enough music via Cable TV and DVD's that they don't think they need to see a live show

3. Most of the music that is popular (i.e. heavily marketed) nowadays isn't as live-performance oriented.

I just don't think that music sales could be as strong as they are (and I believe they have been relatively strong) and concert sales be as soft as they are with the prime reason being the quality of the music.

Also seems to me that people are fairly bored of seeing things rehashed (or fresh/diverse tours like Lollapalooza used to be) have homogonized into pretty tired lineups.

Archived