Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Krome EX - No Setlists

I play in bands with my Yamaha MODX6, it has Live Set functionality(Yamaha's answer to Korg's Setlist).

I need many Live Sets\Setlists because I play in bands and each song has many sounds and its own Live Set.

I also usually have to edit quickly my Live Sets during rehearsals.

Many programs\performances in my Live Sets consist more than one sound - Many times each program in my Live Set has few layered sounds\split zones across the keybed.

Now I know there are ways to overcome the fact that the Korg Krome EX has no Setlist functionality,

but for someone like me who need a lot of Setlists, while many times an object in a Setlist consists few sounds, and I need to be able to create and edit Setlists easily and quickly,

Is the Korg Krome EX even an option?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can use an iPad with an app like Set List Maker or similar, but it takes some effort, since it's more oriented toward re-ordering songs/charts than re-ordering MIDI Program Changes. It does it, because you can associate MIDI Program Changes with each song, but there's a decent nunber of steps. If you pretty much always play from the same master song list, and just pick and choose and re-order, it's very workable, especially if you're just got one MIDI Program Change for the song. But if you need to be setting up new ones all the time, or programming numerous changes into a single song... it's tedious. Although I haven't tried this functionality, Camelot Pro and I think Keystage also have set list management, and are supposed to be "aware" of the factory patches in many boards, which would be a great time-save compared to having to manually enter MSB/LSB/PC for patch after patch. You'd have to see if they them support Krome EX.

But allow me to flip the question around... Since you have a MODX with a satisfactory set list management system built in, what is it that is making want to change to the Krome?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The MODX has all I need in terms of sound and functionality, but based on one test I did recently on the Krome EX in a store, I prefer the action of the Krome.

Although one test of about half an hour is not enough for final assessment, it may was just a good day for me to play synth keyboards.

Krome user here - you have two options. Use an app like KeyStage, or make all your sounds combis and duplicate them to a user subcategory in the order you want to use them in. Just make sure if you edit those that you save the edited version back to the original location before you overwrite it for your next set.

TBH, if you are fine with the real-time control options and interface of the Krome, save up a while longer and get yourself a Nautilus. That has Setlist mode and will be easier to work with.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

The MODX has all I need in terms of sound and functionality, but based on one test I did recently on the Krome EX in a store, I prefer the action of the Krome.

In some ways, that Korg action does feel nicer than Yamaha's, but in the end, I prefer the MODX keys because they are more consistent from front to back. On the Krome, the back half of the keys get increasingly unresponsive.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

In some ways, that Korg action does feel nicer than Yamaha's, but in the end, I prefer the MODX keys because they are more consistent from front to back. On the Krome, the back half of the keys get increasingly unresponsive.

You see, these are exactly the kind of things you can't notice in one half an hour session.

In order to evaluate the action seriously I need to play on the instrument for some period.

I use the Kronos ... but

I run MobileSheetsPro on a tablet. It"s a $12 app that manages all my charts. It arranges charts into SetLists and transmits program changes via MIDI. SetListMaker does the same thing. There are several apps out there. A tablet app is your best option, especially if you are running chart software anyway. If I lighten the rig with a PC4 that is what I will do. The Kurzweil has better pedal I/O and controller functions.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I prefer the action of the Krome.

There"s something you don"t read every day.

If you"re talking the 61, Scott"s observation on the hinge point of the keys is accurate. I"ve been playing a Krome since 2013 - it does take a bit of getting used to.

WRT set list mode, I too wish the Krome had it and if I were buying a KB today, I would plump for the Nautilus, similar to Max. However I also play in multiple bands and negotiate this limit via use of the User banks in Combi mode, in combination with being very well organised and prepared for rehearsals/gigs. It"s not as good as a true set list system but works for me.