Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Still having trouble understanding free Roland Cloud account

Still having trouble understanding the free Roland Cloud account and Zenology Lite. Searched the forum, read a few posts, and watched a few videos. But my account confuses me.

I see I can install Zenology Lite, but it also says I can install D-50 from the Legendary Series. I click install, and it installs, but I don't know what it installed! LOL

Is it D-50 presets for Zenology Lite? Or a standalone thing? There's also TR-808 available as well as a handful of Patches.

Roland Fantom 06; Yamaha P-125; QSC K10; Cubase 13 Pro; Windows 10

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I have it figured out. Updating for posterity...

Zenology Lite is an instrument. Free and loadable as a VSTi (Windows).

D-50 is a separate instrument. Free and loadable as a VSTi (Windows).

TR-80 is a separate instrument. Free and loadable as a VSTi (Windows).

The patches that show as "unlocked" require you to gain access (subscription/purchase) to the models they support. The manager software prevents installation without the models already installed.

Got it now.

So there is a free D50 vsti? And I can get it by creating an account with Roland? (Roland already has some of my info, as I have used their User Forums.) Does the D50 vsti require specific Roland hardware?

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

Yes. My free account has a free D-50 VSTi that doesn't require specific hardware. Install the Roland Cloud Manager. Click on Library. Filter on Software.

I see Zenology Lite, D-50, TR-80, and Zenbeats.

The D-50 is not actually free. Roland often gives users access to their premium instruments for a defined period of time. The D-50 happens to just be provided at no cost right now, but that will end at some point. (Zenology Pro was available recently for about 30 days).

They are only giving one bank of presets for the D-50, and they are not the classic presets. However, you can find sysex files of the original presets online, whith the D-50 will happily accept.

See. That's been my difficulty in assessing. Even though I signed up months ago, I only just installed the D-50 this past weekend. There are plenty of presets (Fantasia, Digital Native Dance, etc.). Now I wonder if it's going to go away or revert to noise bursts after 30 days.

The Library literally has the word "FREE" for Zenology Lite (and Zenbeats), but not for the others, which just say "UNLOCKED."

It also seems like you may get different free things depending on what special they're running when you sign up?

If I go to the D-50 page in Roland Cloud Manager there's a button that says "GO PRO" and a button that says "LIFETIME KEY." But it also says "AVAILABLE IN LIBRARY," which not all do.

So, back to my OP... LOL

Thanks for the info. I guess the clock is ticking and I'll report back.

Free account. I've paid nothing.

OK. Same as me. Something must have happened on my D-50 install then, as I didn't get any of the presets.

It will disappear after sometime though. I had the Zenology Pro for 30 days or so, then Roland took it away.

Thinking Husker is going to be correct. My cloud manager no longer shows the D-50 (but I do have it installed). Instead it gives me the option of installing Jupiter 8 and System 8 now (showing as UNLOCKED). It's very unclear, but it stands to reason these are demos.

Been traveling, and just got home today. I now see the same thing - my D50 is gone, but now I have the Jupiter 8, TR808, SH-2 and System 8 available for free.

I think this is just something Roland does.

I'll take things for free for a limited time. :)

I'm again saying Husker is correct... my D-50 install now shows as expired! The TR-808, installed at the same time, still works. I imagine that'll expire too.

I installed the Jupiter 8, System 8, and SH-2, which all appear as unlocked for me. They all have presets. It's a little confusing though because if you click to open presets you see a blank window (or maybe is just says preset 1). But there are '>' characters on the right hand side. Clicking there is where all the presets really are. So yes, I've gotten presets with all my installs.

Bottom line - the only things free with the free account are Zenology Lite and Zenbeats Free. Anything else that shows as unlocked, that you didn't pay for, is a demo. I don't see that documented anywhere.

And now to uninstall all those demos!

A word of warning! I have had various subscriptions for Roland Cloud over the last 12 months including Ultimate and Pro. I have now stopped my subscription which I have to say was easy to do. However, many of the tracks I created in Logic Studio and Live that use these plugins will not load. Both DAWs just sit there trying to load the Cloud plugins (JUNO-106 or whichever it sees first) and I get the Spinning Wheel of Death! I disabled the plugins inside Logic but that did not fix it. In the end a deleted the plug ins from the folder, then I had to logout because that still didn't work.

Logged back in and the projects now load. In Logic I just get an exclamation mark over the plug in name on the channel strip.

For info - Mojave 10.14.6, Logic 10.4.6

I warily bought a lifetime D-50 key, knowing "lifetime" is relative in the e-world. If it lays fallow for a week or so, it pops up in Demo mode. My password brings it back to full use & it marches along well within Logic. Imperfect, but I have a D-50, sooo....

I hope it holds up through my next Mac & Logic upgrade, so I can future-proof a lot of it with Autosampler. That worked brilliantly with my old Korg synths. Until then, I'll keep up with my stems OCD-style, which is almost a bundled condition when you take up synths at all.

One nice plus is that you can simply drop Sys-Ex files into the browser and the patch list pops right up. Its making it easy to get a useful palette in hand, including the excision of the more shrill patches that yell "8-BIT!" like fingernails on a blackboard. The flip side of its strengths with pads and percussion is making it very enjoyable. It sports the PG-1000 programmer, so tweaking it is almost like synth-yoga.

As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty
 and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life- so I became a scientist.

This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
      ~ Matt Cartmill