Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bill Dooley Rulez!

Seriously...he does...

I had the privilege yesterday of having Bill master the record I've been working on for the past year. I have never...repeat...NEVER heard my music sound so good....so polished...so professional... :cool:

For those of you out there who think that just buying an all-in-one hardware mastering box or some mastering software is all you need to finish off your projects, you might wanna think again. I am now more firmly convinced than ever that there just is no substitute for years of experience, a great pair of ears, killer gear and the knowledge of how to use all of those things in an expert manner - and I believe that it's worth every penny spent to get that.

How many of you have your stuff mastered professionally?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I definitely appreciate what a good mastering engineer brings to the table, and I would have no reservations in recommending Bill to anyone. The man certainly knows his stuff. :thu: Besides, he's got great taste in speakers, right dB? ;):D

Oh yeah mastering Rulez alright! I am a big fan of Steve Turnidge over at UltraViolet Studios .

He did a bang up job on a track that I gave him earlier this month. I had just finished a remix for the band The Fading Collection and it was very bass heavy, as my mixes tend to be, but this time it was really bass heavy. I had several programmed bass drum parts as well as some loops and both synth bass and the original electric bass in the mix and I'll tell you, it was damn bassy. It was one of those "sounds good when you are working but the final is a little less than optimal" mixes.

So I take it apologetically to Steve and he says "no problem" and a day later he calls to say that I should come to pick it up.

I go over thinking that I know he's good but that this was not my best mix by a long shot and don't expect the best results.

Low and behold! He had not only fixed the mix but the final was so sweet that I was floored. I have heard his work but this was what I would classify as a troubled mix. He did not even blink and turned it around without a second thought.

The best part was that the band loved it! If you have done any remixing you know that unless you have specific directions or style expectations from the project you tend to run into varying levels of nervousness about the final stage. Band approval. That can be a real bear if you think there is a chance that they may not care for what you have done to their song. Add to that the issue of inadequate sounding finals and you have a bad ulcer situation brewing.

With a polished sounding track it is much easier to be confident when you hand it over. :)

If you want to check out the track you can here:

(NOTE: This is a Weed file and will only work on PCs)

Blood Red My Shovel (darklight Remix)

Archived