Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do you do anything to beat cigarette smoke?

Just wondering if there is anything you do that helps with smoke getting all over your equipment. It smells terrible when you bring it home. A friend was saying he might not leave his stuff set up anymore at the gig where he plays three nights in a row. Tear down every night and bring it home.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know, maybe, you could drape your equipment with Saran Wrap, or something.

If you're playing enough shithole bars that the smoke is seeping into your equipment, that's probably going to be the least of your worries.

How about a little wipe down after the gig? How do you come up with these topics, Duck?

Use other people's gear in smoky venues and wash your clothes and yourself immediately upon returning home. ;)

I managed to work at Opryland Theme Park, hundred's of shows at the Opryland Hotel, do local crew for concerts and A/V, and tour with two national acts all without being subjected to the typical smoky atmosphere at venues. I didn't know how fine I had it until I took a house gig at The Sutler in Nashville. I showed up to a show my friend was mixing and the place was packed.. and completely filled with smoke. I almost quit before I started the gig. It was a PITA coming home late wreaking of smoke. I'd have to have a sweet gig to go back in that environment for more than a gig or two.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by bluestrat:

That's the main reason I don't go to bars and hang out, and why I have no social life. :( Smoking sucks.

Hang out at the Gym instead. I just joined my local today and there's plenty of people to meet there. Saying that you gotta love going to the pub afterwards :thu:
Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

Originally posted by popstar:

Move to California. You can't even smoke at the beach here anymore.

ps

Which to me, seems like a load of crap. I mean seriously, if it's the litter aspect they're worried about (one of the biggest reasons they've given for the ban), ticket anyone who leaves their butts in the sand. No one has suggested outlawing gum chewing at the beach, and I see gum in the sand all the time.

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Asbestos fire suit "on" - I know I'm going to catch flak for that last post. ;)

Heh, I got the water hose to watch yer back on that one Phil. :D

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by Prague:

Start playing for Ladies Auxiliaries and Bible meetings. They don't do anything icky.

At least not publically. Unfortunately, I've seen plenty of things in the CCM industry that were just as bad as in the secular world... but I've also met plenty of good hearted and sincere people too. Just like anywhere else really, but the good people can be quite amazing individuals.

There is nothing you can do about smoke if you want to be a musician..I HATE Smokey bars and for that matter ignorant drunks, but Since I make a significant part of my musical income from performing I have to deal with it and so does anyone else who wants to be in the music business...It sucks I know, but par for the course..

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Which to me, seems like a load of crap. I mean seriously, if it's the litter aspect they're worried about (one of the biggest reasons they've given for the ban), ticket anyone who leaves their butts in the sand. No one has suggested outlawing gum chewing at the beach, and I see gum in the sand all the time.

Agreed! (and I'm one of those "reformed" ex-smokers)

How about smoking a doob at the beach? ;)

I'll eat the roach. :D

OK. I'm and ex-cigarette smoker. :rolleyes:

this house is empty now...

I am going to get big fans and point them back at the audience AND wear gas masks painted to look like slipknot style masks!!! :D

California, New York, Dublin and soon to add London, the freedom to breathe movement will prevail :thu:

And it'll probably happen looooong before I ever manage to get a gig anyway :P

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

I bought a keyboard from a pawnshop once that reaked of smoke.. The keyboard, and even the manual reaked because everyone on the pawnshop were heavy smokers...couldn't beat the deal though, so I brought the keyboard home, gave a lysol bath, and sprayed down the manual too. Left them both in the garage for a few days sprayed them down a second time, and smell all gone.

That was the 1st time I ever had equipment saturated with smoke like that, mostly when playing bars, it's your hair and clothes.

TROLL . . . ish.

Get one of those spray bottles of Febreeze and a roll of paper towels. For hard surfaces, spray it on the towel & wipe the equipment with it.

For cloth & similar, spray it right on the equipment. It'd probably be wise not to let any onto speaker cones, or surfaces with knobs & faders...

Buy the stuff does magic for killing stink. Really.

I've never heard of anyone's gum smelling so bad that it bothered the people around them. FWIW. I also never heard of anyone getting cancer from second-hand gum. Designated smoking areas would probably be a good solution. It's inconsiderate to reek like a chimney where people are just trying to enjoy being outdoors. Just my 2¢.

----------------------------

Phil Mann

http://www.wideblacksky.com

Originally posted by Philter:

I've never heard of anyone's gum smelling so bad that it bothered the people around them. FWIW. I also never heard of anyone getting cancer from second-hand gum. Designated smoking areas would probably be a good solution. It's inconsiderate to reek like a chimney where people are just trying to enjoy being outdoors. Just my 2¢.

How about aids? can you get aids from second hand gum? How about sticky foot? can you get sticky foot from second hand gum? See, second hand gum isn't as safe as it's cracked up to be!

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Use other people's gear in smoky venues and wash your clothes and yourself immediately upon returning home. ;)

What about your lungs?? :eek:

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

Archived