Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond tone generator grinding on startup

Hey folks, been having an issue where my A100's tone generator makes a gnarly grinding sound once it starts spinning. It also seems to be taking longer than usual to get going after I flip the Start switch. This has happened to me once or twice in the past few months and it always goes away; usually I just have to try to start it up a second time. But this has been an issue every time I've tried for the last few hours, and the grinding is nasty enough that I don't want to just push through it -- I'm afraid of damaging something.

I thought maybe a little more Hammond oil would help, but wanted to check here first. Can post an audio/video clip if that's helpful. Thanks!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, a little oil may help; my A100 actually had that issue until I bolted down the generator. It settled down more 'square ' and start and drive shafts were more true. Started smooth and quiet every time after that. Could also just be the cold! You guys got hit pretty hard up there. ð

Oil solves alot of problems. Also, make sure it is the TWG and not the scanner. In either case oil it. Oil takes a while to move through the system. I've read in some cases a couple of weeks. I'm not sure if leaving the organ on has any bearing on the oil moving faster through the system or not. I'm fairly certain though that your issue is solvable with oil. How cold is the room that organ lives in?

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Thanks for the feedback, all. I'll give it a little oil and let it settle for awhile before I try again.

It's been much colder here the last few days, but the studio stays pretty toasty with the heat on. I'm looking forward to when we can get some separate climate control for the room to help regulate all these instruments better, but that's gonna be an investment for another year...

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.