Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rhodes/digital piano amp ideas?

Hi,

I currently have a Kurzweil PC2x digital piano, which I use mostly for acoustic grand piano sounds, and the occasional hammond or wurlie sound. I run this through a Roland KC-300 keyboard amp. I recently bought a Rhodes Mk II 73 Stage Piano. I mostly do jazz gigs, and a few funk gigs, and I doubt I will use both pianos on the same gig. I know that the Rhodes sounds better through a guitar or bass amp, like a Fender Twin or a Roland Jazz Chorus, which will 'colour' the tone, while the digital piano should be run through an amp which gives as clean a tone as possible. Therefore I am looking for suggestions on how to get the best sound out of the rhodes, while still being able to get the best sound from the digital piano, and not spend too much money. So does anyone have any ideas on what I should do ampwise?

Thankyou very much

Hugh

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm running my Roland RD-700 stage piano into a mixer, with a JamMan looper on an AUX, a Lexicon MPX G2 processor on another AUX, through a Mackie m1400i power amp into two 10" + horn yamaha PA speakers.

I'm a lil' insane though :) I too could use a relatively light-weight but loud keyboard amp to just plug-n-play when effects, looping and other such wizardy are simply not called for!

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

-- Ernie Stires, composer

If I were to use the keyboard amp, which of the following do you think would make the Rhodes sound best:

1) Put the Rhodes through an amp modeler, like the Line 6 POD or Behringer Bass V-Amp;

2) Put the Rhodes through a tube preamp, like a Speakeasy Vintage Tube Preamp, or a Tube Ultragain Mic 100;

3) Use a Behringer D.I. box, and E.Q., possibly in combination with a tube preamp;

4) Put the Rhodes through an effects unit like the Boss SE70?

Also, would any of the above solutions sound better than putting the Rhodes through a solid-state guitar amp (or half solid-state, half tube), or a guitar amp without 3-band EQ, etc.

Thanks

Archived