Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best techno over last 24 mos?

I'm starving for some new, innovative techno. Seems there's been nothing new and mind-boggling for a long time. It's been so dead in techno-land I've been considering buying a BT album. :freak: Or making do by filling in gaps in my CD collection.

Last techno-ey cd I bought I really liked was RUOK by Meat Beat Manifesto. Before that....maybe some Amon Tobin. I don't think glitch is going to be all that productive a genre unless some genius shows up - but he (or she) had better show up soon....

So what's new and really innovative? (and not anthem trance puhleeze) ;)

M Peasley

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey M,

For what it's worth you can check out a lot of new Techno by totally underground artists if you have Reason.

There are a lot of files on Reason Station: Reason Station Techno Charts

A lot of them have links to mp3s if you don't have Reason. Now I'm not vouching for quality per se but a lot of the work up there is really quite good. :)

As for your question Phait: That statement is true of every genre.

M Peasley:

do you mean techno in the classic sense of the genre, i.e., that style from Detroit circa mid-to-late 80s, or do you mean any of the various styles derived thereof, with a decided avoidance of commercial-oriented material?

thnx,

aeon

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

any of the various styles derived thereof, with a decided avoidance of commercial-oriented material?

Yeah, that definition.

I don't know of any single word that can cover the ten billion sub-genres of non-academic electronic music, so I just use "techno" as a generic term. Like I say "Coke" for soft drink and "Kleenex" for tissue.

does techno/dance/club music really not have too many innovative artists?
Actually, the reason I like techno so much is that it seems to me that over the past 15 years the most innovative music has come from that direction. Like rock was in the 60s and 70s, there's an experimental attitude among the best musicians in the genre.

It seems like a bit of a paradox that, in addition to having such great innovators, techno has also spawned a brain-numbing horde of derivative, boring, almost mindless mass of bands and projects and djs. But I suppose the gear-makers have a lot to do with that, in that they have made it really easy to do quick knock-offs of dance music with the groove boxes, loop-based sequencers, sample sets of techno sounds all ready to cut'n paste, etc.

But DJDM is right, all genres have their masses of the mediocre. And their particular geniuses, if few.

M Peasley

In the sense of techno (usually 'electronica') as a general term, I'd say the latest Basement Jaxx album is fantastic.

Kinda like Prince's funky side, but amped up a few notches. In their interviews, they talk about their "maximalist" production style which I'm all for... they have tons of neat stuff going on all the time.

I think minimalist production is a snooze-fest though, so maybe that's just me.

Archived