Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Layering piano patches. - from the Book of Moe

CEB

From the Book of Moe

- for rock, I find 2 layered uprights to sit in the mix the best. Thunderous 9' grands sound out of place to me when banging out the R&R. The naturally weaker bass of the upright stays out of the bass player's way. Layering does not sound chorused or phased - it sounds like a piano tuned with looser unisons, which is both authentic to an awful lot of rock songs, plus helps it cut without having to jack the treble unnaturally.

I use the ancient Rain Piano sample for the bite, and the Blue Swede for the body. The Rain gets a tiny treble boost and is mixed lower than the Swede.

I might give layering pianos another try. In theory I thought this could be a really good idea but I could make it work. It was ages ago. I think I was playing a Ensoniq KS-32. It got real wonky and thin. I think I was creating weird phase cancellation. I"ll give it another try on the Kronos. Any one else do something similar.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic