Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tips on promoting FB streams

I've seen a lot of folks state on FB that they'll be doing a live stream, and then it just seems like you have to mentally remember they're doing it, find their page at the right time, then scroll to the stream and click it. I think I've heard from some that it doesn't work to create an event because you can't livestream within the event so although they may get the reminder, they still have to go find the livestream themselves.

Any tips for scheduling, inviting, and notifying with an easy click to a live stream event?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I"m alerted when someone I"m friends with on Facebook goes live â but who the heck knows what various settings guide that, and where they"re buried.

What my wife and I have done is schedule the live video ahead of time on our band"s page, then share it on our personal pages.

Those alerts are a double edged sword. I was watching a friend"s album release show last week, and in the middle of a tender ballad about a deceased friend,a box popped up that said 'So-and-So is Live Now!' When I tried to close the pop-up, I hit the link instead, so all of the sudden instead of my friend"s heartbreaking composition, I was watching a shirtless man in a gas mask play the drum set by himself. Ah, technology.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I don't know what software they are using but some are streaming to YT, FB, and the others all at the same time. I know keyboard player Greg Spero AKA Weekly Piano is doing every morning around 8am PST. Appears it took him a week or so to workout the issues but working and like today has people at multiple locations being in his stream as well. I'm sure if you ask he'll say what software he's using.

I'm leading a virtual church service on Facebook live each Sunday.

In the week before the service, we promote a couple of times on Facebook, once in our weekly email newsletter, and once through a brief video I make at home every Tuesday.

The day after the service, we put the YouTube of the video up on our website, and of course it remains on the church's Facebook page. More views come after the fact than on the Sunday itself.

A couple of points that I think are important:

You can't do everything. It's more important to be consistent and to have a few things that people can count on each week.

We constantly ask people to like and share our posts on Facebook. It's not habitual for a lot of folks, but it makes a difference. Everything you do can cross promote with everything else.

Even though the service is virtual, I still take an offering. You can ask for money as a musician also. It's ok. Just keep it friendly and subtle and let your audience know that you respect them to make good choices in that area. Also, make it easy for them to find the donate button!

FWIW, our online congregation is many times larger than the number of people who typically attend when we're open, and we're in the black. Not by much, :-) but still ...

Not a promotion, but very much worth doing: we have a little thing called 'Namaste calls.' Basically we ask everyone to call two people each day, just to check in and see how they're doing. This is not about promoting. It's about caring and making sure people don't feel alone in these crazy times.

A virtual event is not the same thing as a live event. Duh, I know. I'll just say this: distill it down to the really important parts. Our whole service is 30 minutes.

Learning as we go!

I haven't figured out how I can get Facebook and YouTube to make their video window vertical to match my cell phone video size when I'm filming out and about.

For some reason their Window is always sideways-like rectangular when I want it to be vertical like on my phone! I'm over 50, so.. ya know, go easy on me if ya can.

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

So our guys are basically on top of it as far as the multiple YouTube stream and Facebook stream and all that. But I'm still running into things like we have a trailer video I can share, then a separate post I can share where you can sign up for a reminder, but you can't share one as a comment to the other or tie them together in some way, and you can tag people, but you can only invite if it's an event which has its own limitations. These are the frustrating things I'm talking about. When you try to get a link so you can post to a comment of something else, it's an iframe embed link that doesn't work right.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I haven't figured out how I can get Facebook and YouTube to make their video window vertical to match my cell phone video size when I'm filming out and about.

For some reason their Window is always sideways-like rectangular when I want it to be vertical like on my phone! I'm over 50, so.. ya know, go easy on me if ya can.

Just don't do vertical video. Please. There is a reason all recorded visual media is wider than it is tall. I wish camera phone makers had never allowed vertical videos in the first place.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Just don't do vertical video. Please. There is a reason all recorded visual media is wider than it is tall. I wish camera phone makers had never allowed vertical videos in the first place.

And I resent Instagram Stories for trying to normalize vertical images and video after so much progress had been made!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

And I resent Instagram Stories for trying to normalize vertical images and video after so much progress had been made!

AND they've brought the dang things over to FB as well. :mad:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI