Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DVD authoring, anybody?

So I had this idea recently, after I finish my CD, to work on a book full of say 30 art pieces that deal with a creepy, disturbing, horror theme (cause everyone likes horror, c'mon).

But just now I thought "what if I could make an interactive gallery on DVD? With music and sounds".

So that's the route I'm propably going to go. However I've never authored DVD's before. I'm gonna do some web searches regarding it, but I'm curious if anyone has experience with that sort of thing and any advice?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's more info from an Adobe press release.

Adobe Video Collection 2.5 and Updated Digital Video Products Now Shipping

All-New Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5, Adobe After Effects 6.5, Adobe Audition 1.5 and Adobe Encore DVD 1.5 Mark Major Upgrade to Digital Video Line-up

SAN JOSE, Calif. May 24, 2004 Adobe Systems Incorporated (Nasdaq:ADBE) today shipped the Adobe® Video Collection 2.5 Standard and Professional editions featuring new versions of its award-winning digital video products. Adobe Video Collection 2.5 includes all-new versions of Adobe Premiere® Pro 1.5, Adobe After Effects® 6.5, Adobe Audition 1.5 and Adobe Encore DVD 1.5, products that are also available for individual purchase. With extensive cross-product integration and performance enhancements, Adobes upgraded video line-up introduces more than 200 innovative new features, including advanced support for high-definition (HD) video in Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5.

Enhanced integration and common interface elements make working in Adobe Video Collection 2.5 easier and more productive. For example, Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5, After Effects 6.5 and Adobe Encore DVD 1.5 integrate with the essential Adobe Photoshop® CS capabilities, including nested layer sets and non-square pixel support. Users can easily work between After Effects and Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 with new copy and paste functionality and features in Adobe Audition 1.5, such as Frequency Space Editing, allow customers to enhance soundtracks for professional video productions. Adobe Encore DVD users can send Photoshop menus to After Effects to create unique motion menus. Adobe Encore DVD also recognizes timeline markers created in After Effects 6.5 and Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 AVI and MPEG-2 files, giving users the option to convert markers to DVD chapter points.

The Adobe Video Collection 2.5 is available in two versions, Standard and Professional. Adobe Video Collection Standard includes Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5, After Effects 6.5 Standard, Adobe Audition 1.5, and Adobe Encore DVD 1.5. The Professional edition of Adobe Video Collection upgrades After Effects 6.5 to the Professional edition and adds Photoshop CS.

Pricing and Availability

Standard and Professional editions of the Adobe Video Collection 2.5 for Windows XP® are available for the estimated street price of US$999 and US$1499, respectively. Customers who owned the previous version of Adobe Video Collection Standard or Professional editions are eligible to upgrade for US$249. Customers who own an individual point product can upgrade to Adobe Video Collection Standard for $799. Customers who own a previous version of Adobe Video Collection Standard can upgrade to the new Professional edition for US$799.

Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 for Windows XP is available for an estimated street price of US$699. Registered users of Adobe Premiere Pro can upgrade to Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 for US$99. Registered users of Adobe Premiere 6.5 or earlier can upgrade to Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 for US$199. Adobe Premiere Pro customers can now download a limited version of Red Giant Softwares Magic Bullet Movie Looks when they register a copy of Adobe Premiere Pro online. For additional information on Movie Looks, visit www.redgiantsoftware.com/movielooks.html.

After Effects 6.5 for Windows® 2000, Windows XP®, and Mac OS® X is available for the estimated street price of US$699 for Standard edition and US$999 for Professional edition. Registered users of either version of After Effects 6.0 can upgrade to the new version for US$99. For more information on upgrades from previous After Effects versions, visit www.adobe.com/aftereffects.

Adobe Audition 1.5 for Windows® 2000 and Windows XP® is now available for the estimated street price of US$299. Registered users of Adobe Audition 1.0 or Cool Edit Pro 2.x can upgrade for US$69. Registered users of Cool Edit Pro 1.x or Cool Edit 2000 can upgrade to the new version for US$169.

Adobe Encore DVD 1.5 for Windows XP® is now available for an estimated street price of US$549. Registered users of Adobe Encore DVD 1.0 can upgrade to the new version for US$99.

Information about new features, pricing, support policies, and other language versions is available online at www.adobe.com/motion. Available from Adobe certified resellers, as well as through licensing and education programs, customers in North America can call 1-888-724-4507 for additional product and sales information.

I've been really looking into this alot lately and can offer some advice.... To get started in video editing, if you have XP you may have a program called Windows Movie Maker already on your computer, that can make video cd's. Get to know that program, and you'll pick up the basics.

My dvd player came with Sonic's MyDVD program, which is a very simple and fun program to use for putting video or pictures and music to a dvd. However it only renders a .dvd file, so it's not really a pro program.

Sony's Screenblast is a little more difficult to learn, but not too bad, but gives you a little more control over your video and will render to many different file types. Sort of like a semi pro program.

The Adobe stuff I looked at is pricey, may take a while to learn, but is all professional, and would do the best job.

I have Adobe's Audition 1.5 program, and totally love it, but am planning to get the Screenblast program, as that's within my budget and can do what I want it to do, at this time. I did buy the upgrade to the MyDVD program and it's cool for doing a one off quick dvd presentation.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

"My relatives have made me photo CDs with bunches of pictures of relatives going by and music in the background. I'm pretty sure they didn't spend much on software. If the art is still pictures, why do you want to use DVD?"

This certainly would be the more affordable route, but it's much less interactive - static photo and sound. I'm looking to do something that the user can do a little more than view in.

My best friend is a Video sicko and owns a company in LA that does a lot of entertainment industry work...He says the easiest and best way to get started is Imovie then move to Final Cut Pro on the mac. Nothing in windows is as user friendly, but for windows and ease of use, getting started, he likes Vegas believe it or not.

Originally posted by FullRefusal.com:

...he likes Vegas believe it or not.

I believe him. My 14 year old daughter edited her own video with effects,supers,credits etc. after watching me trying out the basics for 15 mins (I was only familiar with the audio capabilities at the time).

I'm still using Vegas Video 3 and it's the shiznizzle for Audio and Video editing, IMO. Nothing is easier or more flexible to use. It also has kick-ass redbook CD mastering ala CD Architect as well. I'd say it's hands down the best application for mixing and matching different media types and formats out there. Your project can contain ANY type of media without having to set each media type to the same bit depth or sample rate. How cool is that?

Okay, I get it. I thought you wanted balls to the wall pro level stuff. I concur a zillion per cent that if you're on Windows, Vegas is great. It's what I use for my video work and the latest version can burn to DVD. It also makes it easy to work with audio, accepts plug-ins, does ASIO, etc. so it fits right in with music studios.

Archived