Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stand or sit?

Bill Spencer

Ok, now that we established the Sit / Stand Issue, we can talk about the Face the audience or the band issue!!!

If you face the band, the audience can see your side and you can see the audience; ala Elton John.

I face the audience but am generally on the side and a bit behind our "front line" so seeing is not an issue. Our stages are often so small that I could almost tap our drummer on the shoulder to get his attention, or grab a cymbal (thank goodness for in-ears...)

For one thing, I don't want the audience to see what a hack of a player I am! :D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really surprised no one commented on my practical solution, esp for sustain switching, that I offered up. In summary:

POSSIBLE PRODUCTS TO SUPPORT EASY USE OF PEDALS WHILE STANDING:

SUSTAIN:

- Membrane switch or other other low-profile switch that you stand on, weight shifted to heel to activate, no compromise to posture

SWEEP:

- Gesture control (like D Beam) of body swaying to left or right: sway right for expression pedal, sway left for pitch/cutoff, etc.

I'll go ahead and post this as its own thread, I'm sure our DIY members will have lots of ideas to implement these easily, esp for the sustain pedal.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win11 laptop // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Do you sit or stand?

I guess the message is, however you decide to set up, place a high value on ergonomics and proper posture to ensure a long playing (working) life.

For anything other than piano-gigs, I stand. It's exclusively a deliberate performance thing; I'm part of the entertainment, so my physicality is part of the show.

The biggest things that have mitigated the wear and tear are: I found very comfortable shoes that are patent leather uppers, on a spongy crepe comfort soul. So in a tux or suit, it appears that I've got great dress shoes, but they are comfortable to dance and stand all evening. Also, I often use a thin outdoor mat with very low pile padding that I picked up at Costco. It's really impressive what a very small amount of padding underfoot can do over the course of a long evening gig.

What brand shoes did you buy? I'm looking for something more comfortable than the Cole Haan leather sole oxfords that I have now. I just bought a pair of Kenneth Cole oxfords with a rubber sole, but no go. I'm thinking Allen Edmonds may be my next try. Thanks

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

Ok, now that we established the Sit / Stand Issue, we can talk about the Face the audience or the band issue!!!

If you face the band, the audience can see your side and you can see the audience; ala Elton John.

I set up stage right at an angle so I can see all the band members and see the audience. I can see all facial and hand cues and read the guitar and bass players' left hands, while also seeing if people are dancing or singing along or reacting in some other way. If the dance floor is dead, cut the song short. If the dance floor is happening, extend the song.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

What brand shoes did you buy? I'm looking for something more comfortable than the Cole Haan leather sole oxfords that I have now. I just bought a pair of Kenneth Cole oxfords with a rubber sole, but no go. I'm thinking Allen Edmonds may be my next try. Thanks
Skechers extra wide slip-ons.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.