Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lyle Mays setup live

Docbop

Yes, a rookie question. As I've said decades of playing guitar and just now learning piano so forgive my ignorance on the topic.

So with the sad transition of Lyle Mays I've been listening to a lot of his work and realized I have some Pat Metheny Group live DVDs. I'm watching and listening with a focus on Lyle and I keep hearing strings, but I look and Lyle is on acoustic piano and Pat is on one of his non-MIDI guitars. I know Pat with his bands always has people play a second instrument so maybe someone else is playing a MIDI controller, but don't see any. Finally get to the last piece on the DVD and it starts with mainly Pat and Lyle featured on the acoustic piano. Again I hear strings coming in and out and the strings are same as what Lyle is playing on the acoustic piano. So does Lyle's Steinway have some sort of MIDI pickup he can control?

In fact watching the whole show Lyle had the acoustic piano, three digital keyboards and guitar(s), but seems like from the shots he's in he's playing acoustic piano like 90% of the time. Any info on basics of his setup would be of interest to me.

Thanks

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic