Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland TD-7 opinions . . . ?

I posted this in the Drum forum also, but since everyone seems to be absent over there, and I'm impatient, I will post it here as well.

My local music resale shop has a nice used 5 piece TD-7 for sale for $800. I've been looking for a good drum kit to use in my "studio" for recording purposes. I, myself am not a drummer. However I would like a good reliable kit in my "studio" for when my drumming buddies come over. Would this kit make them happy? Will it give me a good sound recording on Cubase? Is that a good price?

Amateur Hack

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go for it.

Record the MIDI and use something like Battery for the sounds, the built in ones aren't too great. You can use them for tracking though so latency isn't an issue.

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

You'll have to check around on the prices, to see if it's a good deal or not. It seems a little high to me. But much depends on what all is included in the package.

In terms of sounds. Well, it isn't the new V-drum. But the sounds are just fine for most purposes. The Reverb FX leave something to be desired, but you can always turn the FX off if you don't like what you're hearing.

Futureman used to -maybe he still does- use a TD-7 with his 'Drumitar'. I also have one. I think the sounds are fine.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Rog is right. It's a great trigger to MIDI interface but the sounds SUCK. I hated the sounds in 1994, I hate them now. I use a Alesis DM5 for the same function and use samples from the Drum Kit From Hell in HALion. I love it.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Originally posted by Super 8:

Whoa! That's pretty impressive!

Is this a plug-in for other software? How do you have it set up?

I use the TD6 sounds for tracking and record the MIDI. Then I load up the kit in Battery and use the MIDI to drive it.

I usually use Nuendo's FX send to add a bit of Waves IR-1 verb. With a little tweaking it's possible to get a kit sound which would fool a lot of people.

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Archived