Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The time has come to replace my digital piano

well, I messed up my trusty Casio Privia (PX-330 I believe, bought in 2011 for ~$700)... I'd always heard that you should never store a keyboard on its side but never knew why and didn't think much of it, and left it for the past several months on its side, not in a case, in a garage, where my roommates smoke cigarettes... Went to set it up and most of the keys (getting worse as you get lower) stick horribly together. On the bottom couple of octaves, pressing one key pushes down almost a whole octave at once. There's noticeable staining from the smoke, and there's clearly tons of dust under the keys. The actual brain of the machine seems to be fine, but I really doubt the action is reparable. So, I've gotta replace it. I would like to get something in the $500-$800 price range, with built in speakers, and a solid action. It would be for practicing, live stage use, and recording, but take into consideration that I was totally happy on all counts with my old Privia for those uses. The piano sound (hopefully with a mono optimized option) and action are my top priorities, with Wurli sound next, and all else falling after that. I put hands on the new "improved action" Casio models at the local GC and hated them. They may have 'improved' the texture on the top of the keys, but I really don't like the new slim/lightweight action. I'd take the extra few pounds and sound engine of my old Privia over the new models just based on key feel alone. I was amazed that they didn't have any comparable Yamahas on the floor, so I'm not sure how I feel about them, but I remember that back when I made my original purchase that Casio was generally better action and Yamaha had 'better' samples. I'm wondering what your opinions are on DPs for home and stage use in the range are, and whether you think I should just try to find an older comparable Privia model, or if you think something newer would give me more bang for my buck and still leave me happy?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just auditioned them all in your price range and went with the Kawai ES110 based on its action. I use it"s Grand Piano 2 with touch setting 'Light' and Stage Piano 2 with touch setting 'Light'. The Wurly is decent and the Rhodes is nice when set to touch setting 'Heavy'. Even the Jazz Organ is okay. It"s 26 lbs and has built in speakers. Piano stores have Kawai, but not Guitar Center stores. All the online retailers have it including GC.

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."